VOM

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
puppylove

VOM

Post by puppylove »

Good Afternoon!
Curious on opinions/facts/feelings of VOM. It seems popular in my area and somewhat effective but I don't hear much about it from the rehab professionals. Does anyone have a weigh in?

Thank You,
Missi

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: VOM

Post by lehughes »

Hey Missi,

So VOM is a technique that usually involves use of one of those 'activator units' that can create the high velocity, low amplitude 'pressure' over the joints in the spine (and more specifically the soft tissues). My critique would be that is tends to be very non-specific... 'click click click down one side of the back, then click click click down the other side of the back.'

Now that being said, since research cannot validate a joint subluxation, but it can validate movement problems, abnormalities in joint pressure, and altered nervous system input output at a 'dysfunctional' joint, then perhaps a non-specific, no-harm treatment could be warranted.

That being said, should the VOM cause an increase in discomfort of reaction, or a continual need for treatment of the same area, then something is missing. Then perhaps a different technique is needed, perhaps exercises are needed to help hold the joint, perhaps a re-evaluation of the underlying cause and total adjustment of treatment strategy should be sought.

In my opinion it's a bit of a short cut into the whole manual therapy side of things... but I might just feel that way since I have hundreds upon hundreds of hours in manual therapy courses under my belt. (Perhaps I simply feel a need to justify them!)

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES