Puppy Evaluations

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Puppy Evaluations

Post by lehughes »

Hi!
I’m starting to seeing a bunch of pups 10-15 month for musculoskeletal evals and setting up conditioning programs
Question:
-Are there specific things your looking at for specific puppy ages?
-Do u use a specific a puppy evaluation form?

Thanks!!!

H.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Puppy Evaluations

Post by lehughes »

Hey H,

So that’s an interesting question!

Things to look at ALWAYS - spine, pelvis, ribs, and neck
Things to look at 6 months - 2 years: hips, elbows, patellas

Somewhere after 6 months, and certainly in the age bracket you cite, check on balance (3 leg stands, diagonal leg stands, flat surface, wobbly surface...), along with coordination (obstacles, weaves-following a cookie, backing up.)
In that 2nd year (12+mo), you could likely add in some strengthening (eval and prescription): sit to stands, sitting squarely or on an elevated platform, sit to stands facing up hill, destination jumping (i.e. ONTO a small platform (i.e. couch height - or lower… depending upon the size of the dog)
Simple gait evaluation - look at coordination, look at sway.
Functional eval: Stairs, walk the plank, backing up again...

I don’t have a specific puppy evaluation form… but it might be cool to make one!

What have you been finding?

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Sloppy and floppy! 😂

Evaluated 11 month Braque Franais.
O doesn’t teach sit command because hunting?? Was able to get one square sit out if him. Sphinx position, looked ok… interesting consistently led with L FL during positional transitions.
Further dove in for more information and O reported took Zeke hiking about 5 miles when he was about 3-4 months came up lame few weeks RHL 😳
So all looked good- extremity and spine wise with exception R elbow flexion wasn’t full and he kept pulling away.
Trotting looked “goofy” circumducting B FLs. Doesn’t occur at walk or run.
Neurologically intact.
R elbow flexion is lacking about 10 degs- kept pulling away. Full extension.
I thought R elbow joint looked bigger but circumferentially was equal. (glad I took measurement!)
SO O has a wellness check with vet in few weeks and told O to have vet look futher at R elbow.
Also has poor rearend awareness. Taught O ROM to R elbow and basic rearend targeting.

Next puppy coming up Belgian malinois 6 months. Training to be K9 SAR.

I feel more pressure evaluating these guys.

H.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

hear you! There is pressure when you know what the owner wants the dog to do and be… but you are finding issues.
Sounds like you did well by advising that the elbow get looked at by the vet in more detail… radiographs are likely in order.

Have fun with the Mallinois!!!

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES