Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Post by lehughes »

Hey Laurie,
I've had a lot of questions lately about glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for joint protection. From what I can see the older studies tend to point to the fact that there is little to no benefit. More current studies since 2016 seem to imply there is benefit with stiffness and pain and chondroprotective effects, especially after long term use (greater than 2 years). Do you have thoughts on this and what do you recommend?
Thanks!
J

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Post by lehughes »

So, I tend to recommend glucosamine/chondroitin as a protective - so for sporting dogs, or dogs after they reach ‘middle age’… but not FOR OA. (Dosage 500mg/25lbs of dog for the glucosamine)
For dogs WITH OA, I think fatty acids are better. We sell Cetyl-M at my clinic. Other vet-products like Dasuquin are likely warranted. And Chondroprotective injectables like Adequan or Cartrophen seem to make a difference as well.
I am now telling people to try Collagen as well… based on the incidental article I came across and then the others I found to support it’s use!

Hope this helps!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Thanks Laurie, appreciate the input. So you feel Dasuquin is helpful for OA where other Glucosamine/chondroitin products are not? Just like to clarify what you meant.
Thanks!
J

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Well, Dasuquin would be lower on my list. The only advantage that Dasuquin would have over other glucosamine/chondroitin products would the ASU or the MSM added version.
It’s been a while since I looked up the formulation… so I might change my mind.
I know that some over the counter brands have been found to not have in them what they claim. So the ‘vet-only’ brands having to have a DIN number at least guarantees that each tablet contains what the manufacturer claims it does.
So, I will ‘waffle’ on my dasuquin answer, given a chance to rethink it!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES