Land Treadmill

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Land Treadmill

Post by lehughes »

Do you have a brand of dry treadmill that you prefer? My husband has a police canine and someone is offering to give him a treadmill for training. Dog pacer is the only one I’m familiar with but is there one that’s better?

RS

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Land Treadmill

Post by lehughes »

Hey R,

So I have a Dog Tread (which I think is obsolete) and a JogADog Treadmill. The Dog Tread is very similar to the Dog Pacer from what I can tell. The Jog-A-Dog is a huge heavy metal frame beast… but a solid work horse. It’s also 3 - 4x the cost of the Dog Pacer. We love the Jog a Dog because it’s sturdy. I can stand on it. We can put a plastic park bench over it (taking the side panels off) or behind it and keep the dog moving forwards or backwards. It can go super slow or super fast and is controlled with a dial. We like it best for the paralyzed Daxie’s just learning to walk.

However, from a price point… I don’t think you can beat the Dog Pacer prices. People get quite worried about the length and comment that the dog can stride out fully on the shorter (or human - 5 foot) treadmills. The length on these seems to go up to 71 inches… so almost 6 feet. This should be good for most dog… and realistically, nobody should be running a dog at top speed on a treadmill anyways! It’s a cross training/conditioning tool, not a replication of land based exercise… so I don’t get so worked up about that… but 6 feet is sensible I think. Another ‘pro’ for this unit is likely that the walk way would have some spring. The Jog-A-Dog is a belt over a metal frame. Zero give / shock absorption.

So, all in all, I think the Dog Pacer is about as good as you’d need!

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES