NMES help

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

NMES help

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie.

I'm wondering if you could help me out with NMES settings please? When I was studying, I could never really work it successfully and so always avoided it's use since. I now have a brachial plexus case in and I'd like to give it a go.

Many thanks,

C.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: NMES help

Post by lehughes »

Hey C,
Let me see what I can do to help. Firstly are you a FourLeg member? I have my modalities notes in the articles section that you might find useful.
But to get you going on this case.
To test with the e-stim, you'll want to have two pad (small ones). Then spot goop two spots on the same muscle group (goop spots can't touch). You put your pads on there.
Set your machine to the highest pulse width. This is also known as phase duration or pulse duration and usually allows somewhere between 50 - 300 microseconds.
You next set your Hz / Rate / Pulses per second. I use 5pps.
I wrote a blog on pulse width... because a lot of people don't understand it.
https://fourleg.com/Blog/443/How-wide-i ... m-settings

Now... when you go to test, you set your on / off to continuous (or as continuous as you can)... because you're using it as a test versus a treatment. Slowly turn it up and look for muscle tapping.

If this still doesn't make sense, then send me a picture of your unit and/or video of what settings it allows you to choose.

I hope this helps!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES