First Training Video

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

First Training Video

Post by lehughes »

Hi.
I just made a decision to start watching your videos in the evening- one a night after work. And on the weekends the online health webinars for more information and they are longer. But I watched your first one on the canine rehab business and now I feel that maybe Im doing my patients disservice. I thought I knew what I was doing and now Im not so sure. Are there enough hours in the day to practice and then learn what I don’t know. I thought I knew but maybe coming from the vet side I took for granted my knowledge and need to go back to basics. Thanks for putting this together, maybe it was the reality check I needed but now I don’t know were to begin again.
JM

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: First Training Video

Post by lehughes »

Hi J!

Whenever we learn something we go in and out of states of competence. (I watched a great lecture on it a few years ago… but I’m going to google so that I get it right). Essentially, we start out as Unconsciously incompetent - we don’t know how to do some things, but we don’t recognize our deficits. Then we become Consciously incompetent - now we recognize the deficit and the value of learning more. From there we can become Consciously competent - where we know and understand how to do something and are competent at it, but to execute (whatever it is) takes a great deal of conscious involvement. Lastly is Unconscious competence - Here the skill has been so well practiced that it is ‘second nature’ and can be done while doing other thing and the individual may be able to teach it to others.

All to say that all of this is an evolution. It is FANTASTIC that you realize the holes or areas that need more work / strengthening / learning. That is progress! So, really, congratulations on that! Honestly, with any new skill, you can actually go in and out of feeling competent.

So, to answer your questions (not sure there was a question)… but you can start anywhere! The important thing is to start! It’s like writing a paper… you don’t know what you will end up with until you start diving into the research and see where it takes you. This paper references another paper, you read that paper and realize that there is an area that you forgot to include, so you dive into that area. And so on! Just start somewhere!

Kudos to you for identifying a ‘hole’ in your knowledge or skill base and for signing up for education to help fill in the gaps! I have always said that the certification programs really just scratch the surface of all aspects of rehab. Onwards and upwards!!!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES