Learning how to use the UWT

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Learning how to use the UWT

Post by lehughes »

Hi!

I won’t take up much of your time but we are finally getting an UWTM!! We are looking at the Oasis and AquaPaws systems.

I don’t have any hands-on experience with an UWTM and I’m trying to learn as much as possible before we get it (which will likely be around June/July).
I couldn’t find info on your site regarding them but it’s possible that I missed it...there’s a lot of wonderful info to sift through!

Would you mind sharing some basics with me or directing me to some of your favorite resources? Unfortunately I don’t see many CE opportunities available regarding UWTM but maybe I’m looking in the wrong places??

We have some big changes happening with the rehab department and I’m a bit overwhelmed with all that I am researching at the moment!

Thank you as always,

SK

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Learning how to use the UWT

Post by lehughes »

Hey there,

Thank you for your kind words. I do sort-of feel like I’m getting caught up a bit! A bit! Anyways, my brain feels less hectic.

So, exciting times for you! As for UWT, I have a Ferno. First one in Canada, and the original 16 year old unit. My husband has been instrumental in keeping it going! So, based on that, I guess I’d vote for AquaPaws. I’ve heard hit and miss reviews on Oasis. One PT is having issues with the filling and speed on their 4 month old unit, and she can’t get help from the manufacturer! Others have no issues at all. But that’s all I know about that!

Okay, as for UWTM content. The white search bar at the upper right hand side of the Member’s side allows you to search by topic. So, when I put in UWT, hydrotherapy, water, water treadmill...
I get the following:

Audio

UWT Exercise Starting, Progress, & Discharge

Articles

Aquatics: Underwater Treadmill Therapy for Dogs
Aquatics: The Benefits of Hydrotherapy

Newsletters

2018: May-June: Volume 7, Issue 3
2019: March-April: Volume 8, Issue 2

Video Training

Video Training 174: DIY An UWT Chair!

You can also go online to find book chapters on Hydrotherapy:
https://www.academia.edu/11784281/Anima ... _Blackwell

And I found this book coming out on Amazon (can’t recommend it or not just yet… but I just ordered it myself to see what I think of it)
https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Tread ... oks&sr=1-1

I also think that CRI teaches (or used to teach) a full hydrotherapy course!

It’s a funny tool. There really aren’t rules for it!

For what it’s worth. We start dogs at about 10 minutes with water between stifle and hip. We then progress by a minute per session, and lower water as the dog gets stronger. We’ve been doing an interval training regimen. (More for the fitness dogs and/or later stage post ops). Newer post ops, it’s a gradual climb in speed, then steady, then gradual decrease. Speed is determined by how the dog looks in the water.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Learning how to use the UWT

Post by lehughes »

Here's the link to the CRI hydrotherapy course:

https://www.caninerehabinstitute.com/Ca ... rapy.lasso

PS You can also get great info about chemicals etc from pool / hot tub companies.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES