LumaSoothe Light Therapy

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
Vetgal83

LumaSoothe Light Therapy

Post by Vetgal83 »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has experience with a low level light therapy unit. I have a class 4 laser that I use on my patients and I offer the Assisi loop for at home pain control. My client is interested in the light therapy unit and I am wondering if anyone has used this unit or a similar one.

Thanks

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: LumaSoothe Light Therapy

Post by lehughes »

Well, I hadn't heard of it so I looked it up. It appears to be an LED unit. So, not a high powered therapeutic laser, but LED does / can have some benefits. The troubles with LEDs are that the light is non-collimating, meaning that it's disperses after being emitted, and as such can't penetrate to the same depths and you can't accurately calculate dose. These are the reasons I'd not use it in MY professional practice.

However... it could have some benefit as a home use device. I do have an LED unit that I rent out / loan out to owners for some superficial types of injuries / wounds / hot spots, etc. An owner would have to hold the device in place / in the area for a MUCH LONGER time than with a laser. But, if they want to watch TV and do LED to the dog's hip, back, knee etc... then go for it. It would have the potential to be helpful.

I think it's priced right for what it is...

I hope this helps!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Re: LumaSoothe Light Therapy

Post by David Lane »

I was just commenting in a different thread that some clients have bought respectable lasers for $3000 CDN for personal use. I don't think a unit like that is practical for use in hospital as the low power means prolonged treatment time, but for owners treating their own pets it is an option.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP