Laser & Acupuncture

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Laser & Acupuncture

Post by lehughes »

Hey Laurie,
It's been awhile. I've been following your journey with your husband and hope things will go well. So I have a veterinarian who is doing laser along with acupuncture needles being in at treatment. I am trying to find out what class the laser is at this point but wondering your input on that.
TP

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Laser & Acupuncture

Post by lehughes »

Thanks T.
As for the acupuncture and laser, I combine the two all the time. I began doing it because I'd get bored just letting the needles sit, and because my clients pay by 'time' versus 'modality'. But I have now also convinced myself that it potentially makes the acupuncture more effective. You'd potentially be stimulating the needles at the same time. I use only class 3b lasers. So in addition to the laser light stimulation, I'm likely stimulating by pushing / bumping in to the needles. Indeed a class 4 would be stimulating via a heating mechanism as well. I'd say this is much like we'd do is using moxa to heat a needle. (I can't stand the smell of moxa... so I never much got into that!) So, all in all, I'd say it's likely good in either scenario so long as the dog does not seem to react in pain in any way.
Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES