Different Radial Shockwaves

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Different Radial Shockwaves

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie

Happy Easter! I hope you don’t mind me emailing you. I am a human and ACPAT registered Physiotherapist and treat both animals and humans regularly. I’m thinking about adding shock wave therapy to my treatment tools and just wanted some advice regarding the animal protocols

I’ve read that most animals don’t tolerate it and therefore need to be sedated for treatment is this correct?

Do you have any specific treatment protocols you currently use for small animals?

Ive booked a demo of the zimmer shock wave system next week which has human treatment protocols already programmed so that should be straight forward and it allows programming of settings and doses so I could use this option for the animals

The zimmer system has a soft shock wave pulse which apparently is more tolerated?

“Unique enPuls “Soft” shockwave enPuls creates unique shockwave pulses by using a projectile 5 times heavier than standard air-pressure systems and a reduced final velocity upon contact with the applicator.”

I know you use the Chattanooga system but wondered what you thought were on the other?

Regards

F

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Different Radial Shockwaves

Post by lehughes »

Hi F,

Okay, so I had to go online to see what I could find out about the enPuls unit.

To be honest, I think you’d be happy with either radial unit.
With the radial shockwave, you don’t need to sedate the dog. They just need to get used to the sensation and the noise. I have a technique for getting them used to it:
Smell the unit. Turn it on while having it on my leg or body part, then place it sideways on the dog so they get used to the vibration / sensation, then direct it to the target tissue. I’ve found most dogs do very well with this, and the whole process takes 15 - 20 seconds. Some dogs are just more fearful… but it doesn’t take long before they know what it’s about. The fearful dogs often come to loving it within 2 - 3 treatments!

Focused shockwave they often sedate the dogs.

The protocols will just be guidelines. I am learning more and more that I can do more with the shockwave and get creative. (And I’m doing a shockwave talk at VetFest in Surrey in June if you’re going to be there!) I’ve got some newsletters on the Topic on FourLeg as well - www.fourleg.com/Shockwave

Okay - so really, it will boil down to 1) price of the unit and 2) price of the replacement head (after the 2 million shocks) - or bullet kit in the case of the Chattanooga - which is $750Canadian…)

Best of luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES