Tugging - Good or bad- Proper form?

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
cansk8@ac.com

Tugging - Good or bad- Proper form?

Post by cansk8@ac.com »

I have a question on tugging. I compete in agility but do not do it with my dogs to get them revved up. Other people do esp BC people although I don't get why since those dogs are jacked up anyway!!

I see a lot of tugging that seems unsafe to be honest. Some people do it in a horizontal plane like a dog would do when shaking its' prey but I think most do vertical up and down or pulling the dog forward and backwards with a slight upward angle. The up and down is the most egregious I think but I am less sure about the second one.

Someone is advertising her fitness class online at the canine conditioning and fitness FB page. Her name is Lisa Petterson and she has a short video with demo on her fitness stuff. I caught a shot of her tugging and though it was not up and down, I felt like it may have been too extreme for the dog.

I'll never forget hearing an instructor during my chiropractic training years ago tell a story of seeing a dog( I think a JRT!) that subluxated occiput -C1. I guess that is not impossible but it sticks with me all these years later which is why I don't use a tug much. My youngest JRT likes to tug and I just usually let him pull the toy against me while I am motionless or I swoosh it back and forth horizontally along the floor while he goes crazy!!

Laurie- do you have any info or blogs on tugging and the consequences of bad tugging?

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tugging - Good or bad- Proper form?

Post by lehughes »

Great question & discussion point Carole!

So, right off the bat, I know of no research or even blogs on this topic. However, you most certainly have sparked an idea in me!

When it comes to Tug, I have similar concerns. I think some degree of tugging is okay. I like it for building up rear end use and strength. I can see where folks would think it's a good 'warm up' as part of their pre-agility routine. However, I would agree that MODERATION is key and that not everyone is taking that into account! I would also agree that the angle of the tug is important as well, and what the owner does on the other end of that tug can have an impact.

So firstly, let's look at angle. I would agree that a flat line / back & forth tug makes the most sense. From a muscle activation / warm up standpoint, this would engage the muscles you want engaged better than an up-down tug whereby gravity / weight of the body is the dog's best ally and therefore the traction component might come become a factor of concern. I can't come up with any advantage to an up-down tug. Side to side might be useful... if not 'crazy' (more below).

Secondly, let's look at intensity. I like a straight back and forth and a controlled side to side. With any warm up, you watch athletes, and what they are doing is controlled - yes, it might be jumping up and down or side to side. But it's controlled and thought out. So, I would say that as long as the activity is controlled and not phrenic... then it fits within guidelines of an acceptable warm up. So in turn, shaking the neck as in 'killing the tug toy' or aggressive side to side play could have the potential to cause more harm. I worry most about the neck in cases in cases where the dog shakes the toy.

Thirdly, let's look at psychology. I'm not sure what to think about using it as a tool to 'amp up' the dog. I can see there being merit in that - sort of like motivating a boxer at ring side, or a team chant / pep talk before a game. How else do you do that with a dog? I'd be curious in dogs such as this if someone could study run times (and accuracy) of dogs 'revved up' by tugging versus a different warm up. Honestly... I'm just not sure!

Fourthly, atlanto-axial subluxation. Wow! So, I'm thinking that it would be hard to subluxate a 'normal' OA joint. Normal ligaments are hard to tear with normal activity. (i.e. Normal cruciates rarely tear - outside of massive trauma... - degenerative ones do - d/t poor joint angles, repetitive stress, joint inflammation etc.) So for an AA Subluxation to occur, something more had to be at play. But trust me, I'll have your story in the back of my head now forever as well. So, based on this story, perhaps tugging would be ill-advised for the toy breed dogs, with caution for the small breeds as well.

This could be the start of a blog post! Thanks Carole! I hope more people will chime in with thoughts!

Happy Easter!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES