Shockwave - focused vs radial

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
sunami83

Shockwave - focused vs radial

Post by sunami83 »

Hi 😊

At the moment a shockwave unit is on top of my wish list. I’ve done some research and also read your Newsletters on the topic. However I still can’t decide wether I ought to go for a focused or radial shockwave unit. As I work in a Veterinary practice I have the option of sedating the animals for treatment so using a focused shockwave wouldn’t be a problem. But if a radial shockwave would be just as effective not having to sedate would be an advantage. Obviously the cost of a treatment with focused shockwave would be more excpencive as the unit is more excpencive to purchase and the cost of sedation needs to be covered. Also it would be easier to just do a shockwave treatment during a physioappointment if one didn’t have to sedate. I feel the research is somewhat divided on the matter and feel a little bit confused 😉

Would be really greatful for some input on the matter 😊

Best
Sunniva

David Lane

Re: Shockwave - focused vs radial

Post by David Lane »

I went with a radial unit and am happy with the results. Remember that many of your chronic OA cases will also be geriatrics, so the moment you start discussing multiple sedations, the owners are going to balk. The need for sedation will also limit your ability to treat patients with comorbidities (I'm looking at you Mr. 10yo DCM boxer with bilateral stifle OA because you blew both your CrCLs before your 2nd birthday).
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

sunami83

Post by sunami83 »

Thank you for your input David😊I do see a lot of OA cases in eldrely dogs and dogs with comorbidities, so definetely preferable not having to sedate. If I was to go for a focused shockwave unit I think I’d need to be convinced that it would be truly superior to a radial unit. At the moment I’m not, so leaning more and more towards buying a radial unit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for European companies that sell radial shocwave units?

I’ve also looked at the piezowave unit: https://mtavet.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 2.1.17.pdf. I think I could get that one through one of the companies I usually buy equipment from. It’s a focused unit but it claims you don’t need to sedate. I can’t really understand how it can be focused and not require sedation. I’ve had shocwave treatments myself (focused) and if I was a dog I would bite! Wondering if the adjustments they’ve done to make the treatment tolerable to the animal also could make it less effective🤔

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hey Sunniva,

There is one paper that I quoted in one of those two newsletters that says that upon review, there seems to be no difference in effectiveness between the two types. As such, they would recommend Radial for ease, cost, etc.

The non-sedation Focussed could be non-sedation either by how the shockwave is generated (i.e. Piezoelectric or Electromagnetic... which I think can be dialed down). I know when I was at a conference and trying out the PulseVet unit, we had it dialed down low so that I could feel it on my knee. I wanted to do some trials with it to come up with 'low dose settings'... but they wouldn't go for it.

Okay, so even if the Focused unit that you can get doesn't need sedation, with a Focused unit, you will still need to replace the trodes more frequently (and more expensively) than replacing the bullets of a Radial unit. The cost of use is higher with a Focused unit as well.

Look into anything made by Storz. Even if it is made for use by a different company. My unit was from DJO Global (which I'm going to assume means they sell globally!)
www.storzmedical.com
I see they have a veterinary radial pressure wave system... That's the one I'd get (not knowing price, but I bet it's cheaper than the one you're looking at!)
Oh, and I do know folks using the one you linked to - they like it... but they don't know any other unit. I've tried it on myself. It was fine. So... now, look at price!

All the best!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hey Sunniva!

I also just found this one while scrolling through linked-in - UK company:

https://trimbio.co.uk/zimmer-mobile-rad ... #shockwave

Cheers,

Laurie