Books on Craniosacral therapy

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Books on Craniosacral therapy

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,

Are there any books on craniosacral therapy that you would recommend? I am planning to take one of your craniosacral therapy courses, but probably won't be able to travel to STAAR or the course in Santa Barbara until Spring 2020/Fall 2019 respectively. I am looking to get some more background information on CST in the meantime. Do you have anything available online?

Thanks in advance,

K.F.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Books on Craniosacral therapy

Post by lehughes »

Hi K.,

Okay…

So, craniosacral therapy is a tough thing to learn from a book. It’s hard to wrap your brain around. (That is, the LEFT side of your brain.)
How I teach it, I make an attempt to first satisfy the left side of your brain, and THEN let the right side of the brain take over.
When I researched, there is plenty that craniosacral therapy promotes as being truths, but simply can’t be validated, OR are disproven.
As such, I caution you when reading, to be open minded and 1) not throw out the baby with the bath water. Meaning, that if you read something that seems like sheer and utter hog-wash… just place that piece aside, and move onto the next concept. 2) allow the right side of your brain to ‘feel’ and ‘believe’ in some of the other concepts. For example, just even the concept that the body has a craniosacral rhythm is hard for folks to accept. But THAT one, I can justify and explain. So, when trying to feel for it, you simply have to believe and be open to feeling for it.
(You see now, why it’s hard to learn from a book.)

That being said. John Upledger is considered the founder of Craniosacral Therapy. So his books would be a good starting point. - Craniosacral Therapy or Your Inner Physician and You.
When I looked on Amazon, I also found, My Hands and Heart: Achieving Health and Balance with Craniosacral Therapy, which had good reviews.

Maybe look for a DVD. That might be useful as well. NOW, caveat, a lot of the human craniosacral therapy revolved around techniques for the head… which are the things that can’t be validated and are much harder to translate to the dog. But again, it’s a starting point.
I did an online CANINE craniosacral course, but was rather disappointed. I was looking to add more materials to what I was already teaching. I though the instruction in the course really just made it seem like you put your hands in different places and ‘poof’ magic happened. Anyways, if you’re interested in that, you can check out: https://www.holisticanimalstudies.org/
(I am not promoting this site… it’s just the only place I’ve seen any kind of online learning of this or some other things… and of the courses I’ve taken - again, just to see if I could get a different perspective… I’ve not been impressed.)

Okay, so, there you go.

All the best,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES