Slatmills-

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
cansk8@ac.com

Slatmills-

Post by cansk8@ac.com »

Laurie- you may have seen the post on the FB conditioning page where someone wanted pros and cons of UWT and land treadmills. Someone chimed in saying she got rid of her land treadmill for a slat mill so her dog could go as fast as it wants.

Having never heard of a slat mill ( should I have learned about it in my rehab training or C.E.?). I googled it and was somewhat appalled to see every dog ( they all seemed to be Pits!!) running frenetically and out of control on the things.

I have to believe that is why they are not anywhere in the formal education of rehab professionals.

Have I missed something here?

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Slatmills-

Post by lehughes »

Hey there!

No! You didn't miss anything! They weren't discussed because I don't think any reputable rehab person would recommend them!
You could maybe equate it to running down hill. Sure, you could try to slow down but it's not going to be easy!
I see there being a greater chance of loosing control and flinging right off the back end (or in the case of the pitties on FB - go down and be momentarily strangled by their collar and lead.

It's stuff like this that made me stop getting notifications from that group! I'm still a member, I just don't see stuff there unless I purposely go onto the group. Too much hair pulling and head banging when I read some of the posts!

Thanks for bringing this up!
All the best!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

cansk8@ac.com

Re: Slatmills-

Post by cansk8@ac.com »

Yeah - there is some odd stuff on there and people often look for advice when they should be seeking professional advice. Sometimes the moderator or others tell them to get real help , sometimes not.

You probably notice more wrong stuff than I do- I sometimes see it as a resource for using an item for fitness I never thought of - but that slat mill thing! I don't recall anyone questioning the safety of it!! Looks awful to me!!! I would not interject myself on that site or others as people jump all over you or don't care what advice you might offer- I offered advice on something , can't remember, a few years ago - and even though I am a vet and certified in rehab, I am not well known from any of the many online courses that exist now- so my advice meant nothing...guess I expected my advice to at least be equal to some of the other things I read!!
Not worth my time!

Thanks for answering- saw your email today - it will get warmer!!

It's Canada in February right!! haha! ;)