MLS lasers

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
Philippa

MLS lasers

Post by Philippa »

Hi All,

I had an class 4 ASA laser (they make Cutting Edge ones) on loan to try for a bit and noticed that the recommended settings for J/cm2 were very low compared to my class 3B laser.

I saw a brief reply on the blog saying that as this type of laser bleaches the tissues so you don't need such a high J/cm2. Am I safe to go with the ASA settings to get the same effect? For OA they were treating at 4J/cm2 regardless of depth of tissue.

Many thanks,

Philippa.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: MLS lasers

Post by lehughes »

Hey there Philippa,

So, I had the MLS Cutting Edge Laser for a while. It seemed to work very well.
Yes, it has two wavelengths (one 'regular' laser, and one that is superpulsed).
The superpulsed does work differently - bleaches superficially and then the next blast of laser goes deeper. So, yes, you require less.

However, you're right... if you look at all of their different settings, they always end up being 4J/cm2. (Which was something I didn't like.) You can over-ride the system, but it's a pain.

I would suggest just trying things out. Lot's of room to play with it!

Good luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Hi Laurie,

Yes, I liked the design of the laser but I just could not get my head around doing 4J/cm2 for a cat elbow and the same for a Newfoundland elbow....it just didn't seem right.

And I agree it was really faffy (might be a UK term!) to change the settings...so I sent it back after the trial.

I'm still looking for my ideal laser...I love our 3b one but would like something a little more powerful to get the job done a bit quicker. I enquired about the Spectravet ones over here but the UK distributor would go for weeks without replying to my emails, so I gave up and got the Intelect one.

If anyone has suggestions for other ones let me know! I liked the set up for the Companion ones but the head is really heavy and I got arm ache and the K-lasers are really expensive and the salespeople over here are very pushy.

Hopefully something will turn up soon that is suitable!

Thanks for all your help guys,
Philippa.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Contact Peter Jenkins over on this side of the pond. Perhaps he could make things happen sooner or ship directly from the US.

I could also ask the ACPAT group if they have a favourite one... and get the specs to see how it'll do.

If you have a higher powered class 3b, it'll be the same time to get the job done as a class 4. Waving the probe around loses a lot of energy anyways.

Let me see what I can find out!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

My UK physios came through. I'll just do a bit of cut and paste here:

http://www.omegalaser.co.uk/
Hi Laurie, we love our laser. Easy to use, fantastic customer service and aftercare. Free training on purchase. Others available are Spectravet, Chattanooga and THOR Lasers x

We use the Chattanooga Laser purchased from Trimbio.co.uk
Some clients I encourage to get the handheld Photizo units for home management.

I equally use Chattanooga, very simple to use great if clients need to hire it as simple for them to use too.

Also Chattanooga - very easy to work out dosage, converts Joules to J/cm2. I would also say the omega systems are good and they have very knowledgable support on the end of the phone and good training systems.

I’ve got a little travelling Thor one. Been very pleased with it.

I use a Thor DD class 3b, with 200mW single probe and 69 Led cluster head. Absolutely 100% impressed with it. Also Thor have amazing customer and clinical advise after sales service. They frequently run training days with updates on new evidence / studies. No hesitation in recommending Thor. Sometimes reconditioned units availability from Trimbio

I use ThorDD as above and find it effective for Humans and animals - I bought it 16 years ago and it is still going strong.I like it a lot

There you go! That's the info I received to pass along!
Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES