alpha stim

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
JuliPotter

alpha stim

Post by JuliPotter »

Laurie,
can you tell me more about the alpha stim....what do you use it for? how does it work? who sells it?
Thank you!
Juli

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: alpha stim

Post by lehughes »

Hi Juli,

Good question.

Alpha-Stim is Microcurrent. (Alternately known as MET, MENS, MCT or CES). The latter - CES - stands for Cranial Electrical Stimulation, which utilizes ear clips to stimulate the brain, for pain management. Essentially any application of microcurrent is for pain management.

I included it in the Modalities Update (Part 2) in the Articles Section. There are a handful of research papers showing it is helpful for pain (post op total hip, with delayed onset muscle soreness, jaw pain from teeth grinding, torticollis treatments, total knee), and one on wound closure. There is a dog study comparing Alpha stim to bandaging & cold compress or bandaging alone. (Alpha-stim was comparable to bandage + cold compress... and both were better than bandaging alone for reducing swelling post TPLO).

Firstly, the Microcurrent / Alpha-stim unit can be applied like a TENS with electrodes. The current is 'sub perceptual' - i.e. the patient doesn't feel it or rather doesn't need to feel it for the therapy to be effective. It utilizes a current of less than 1 milli-Amp.

The Alpha-Stim unit also comes with probes that you can used to treat an area by placing the probes on either side of the joint or tissue to be treated - across from each other in varying patterns to create multiple straight lines or X's through the treatment area. The unit also comes with the ear clips (or you can buy a unit with ear clips alone). This is the Cranial Electrical Stimulation part.

They have studied this (CES) on patients with chronic pain, depression, anxiety, addition, cognitive dysfunction, fibromyalgia, insomnia, post-traumatic amnesia, and spinal cord injury pain). THIS is the way I actually use it in clinic. We find it EXCELLENT for dogs with anxiety, or chronic pain, or severe acute pain (i.e. IVDD). It is purported to be able to affect brain waves... and when you try it on yourself... you do feel a bit light headed!

I had used the probes and pads to try it out in the past... but I wasn't blown away, and it took up time, while not providing a measurable benefit (to the naked eye anyways). So we simply just use the ear clips and treat whatever area locally with other modalities or hands on therapies.

There are several 'reps' out there who sell the device. And the company tries to get you to buy 10 or more at a time in order to resell them to clients... but they're not cheap. So I only have the 2 in the clinic that we use on patients.

You can purchase directly from the company. I found this site... but it's .ca (so this is likely their Canadian site...) - https://www.alpha-stim.ca/
I also tell people to go on Amazon or E-bay. You can likely purchase from one of the people who did purchase 10 at a time. (There are currently a couple on e-bay right now! Nothing on Amazon, but a book.)
If I were to buy again, I'd get the CES-only unit based on how we have used the equipment over the years.

I hope this answers most of your questions!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

JuliPotter

Post by JuliPotter »

Laurie, This is great!! Thank you so much! I knew you had info on Modalities but I could not find it....I was looking under the videos!
I am looking into all of my options to help with rehab for I have finally taken the plunge and started my own business! I am starting small but I feel more confident then I used to....many thanks to you for this!
another question on equipment if you don't mind.....I am looking at options for a laser and though my preference is the SpectraVet and the customer service is wonderful, I can't afford it.....However, I did contact Respond and they offer a refurbished unit and a payment plan! I would like your thoughts on this unit and using a refurbished unit. They now have the 2400 VS model. You mentioned this company in one of your videos so I thought I would check it out!! With much appreciation, Juli

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Good on you Juli! Congrats on getting your business up and running!

As for lasers, Respond is a nice company. I'm not as familiar with the 2400VL, I do know the 2400XL... maybe that was a typo. You can make the unit work. The single probe head will only produce a continuous wave... which can heat the hair. So to get 8 joules per point, you may need to move the laser between two points: 2 joules.. move the probe, 2 joules there... move the prove back, 2 more joules... move to the 2nd spot again... and so on until you get to 8 (for example). Do-able, but a bit more complicated. The Wide Head (superpulsed) is nice for pain cases. It takes longer, but it can work well. You can make it work for you, for sure!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

JuliPotter

Post by JuliPotter »

Laurie,
thank you so much!! :)