Dynamic Taping of digits?

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
DeniseLaceyBaxter

Dynamic Taping of digits?

Post by DeniseLaceyBaxter »

Could anyone give me an idea of what dynamic taping of a dog's digit's entails? This was referenced on another board. The only thing I could come up with was taping two digits together for more support?
Thanks in advance for anyone's input!
Denise M Testa, LVT, CCRP, CMT, CCFT
C Spot Run

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Taping of digits?

Post by lehughes »

Hi Denise,

It's my understanding that it is the use of kinesiotape to help with dynamic stabilization... as compared to using rigid tape that would 'block' movement (and hence not be dynamic).
Often what I have seen (in the dog world), is K-tape going down the back of the calf, tarsus, and metatarsals to help with a 'dropped hock' OR K-tape being run down the front of the tarsus, metatarsals and foot to help with proper foot placement to reduce knuckling. PERSONALLY, I think you could take that one further and tape right up and over the toes, and hook on under the toe nails to create a bit of a 'toe up' device.

Here's an online resource if you're looking. https://www.holisticanimalstudies.org/c ... aping.html
I've not yet done a K-taping course. (I'm not 100% sold) But I'm looking into this one, and one at STAAR next year. I have at least 5 K-taping books on my bookshelf right now... I'm waiting to be blown away, but it's not happened yet (at least not with dogs yet.) Don't get me wrong, I WANT to be blown away. I'm just still waiting!

I hope this helps.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

DeniseLaceyBaxter

Post by DeniseLaceyBaxter »

Thank you! I kind of like the idea of the toe-up:)
Denise

K9Rehab

Post by K9Rehab »

Laurie, I saw your reply to this was from a few years ago... what are your thoughts now? I have a vet who is referring an 8 week old puppy with digit laxity and wondering whether taping would help.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hey Joanna,

I saw your posting of that pup on one of the FB forums. K-Taping would be the first thing I might try in that case... again - just proprioception.

I am still very skeptical of it as a tool. We were all gung-ho at my clinic originally. I bought lots of different tapes. We did a lab on it for all of the therapists... and since then, we've all tried it out on several dogs, and let's just say that the tape doesn't come out very often.

BUT it's not going to hurt, and giving it a week's trial can be a bit of a science experiment.

For your pup (with the crooked toes and laxity), I might try digging, swimming, perhaps e-stim to the carpal / digit flexors with weight shifting. Some breeders believe in walking on pea gravel as a way to strengthen feet, so you could try walking in pea gravel, or maybe packed snow (????).

I'd also just increase proprioception of the foot. Play with it. Maybe put a hair scrunchie through the toes and around the foot. Encourage games where the pup holds a toy to lick out frozen peanut butter or the like - again to strengthen muscles.

Keep us posted after you see him!!!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES