Moving a Class 3B Laser

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Moving a Class 3B Laser

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,
I have recently been told something that does not sound accurate, but I cannot find any reference to in my CRI notes, so I would like to ask you.
I was told that if you move the Class 3B laser during treatment that it will not warm the tissues sufficiently and will not be effective. That didn't make any sense to me, but someone that has been practicing rehab for over 15 years told me, so I did not question her on that. I then asked what she did for dark colored dogs. She said she just holds the laser 1-2 fingers away from the dog. I would suspect that would significantly decrease energy absorption.
When doing muscular regions, I tend to calculate my Joules and move the probe over the treated area with reasonable pressure (if tolerated). My concern is that I'm not benefiting the animal as much as if I was holding the probe still. I don't think that makes sense, but I just need someone smarter than me to tell me that (or I need to change what I am doing).
Thank You In Advance,
HH, DVM

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Moving a Class 3B Laser

Post by lehughes »

Hi H,

So what kind of laser do you have.
Class 3B’s are usually held stationary.
And yes, moving it during treatment or holding it away will reduce energy absorption.
However, the MLS laser does have a setting / program where you would move the laser… and people report it to be quite effective.
Some of the 3B’s are continuous wave and powerful enough that they could be too hot to hold in place (i.e. the Luminex Vet probe)… in which case, your technique is valid.
But if you had the Spectravet Laser, then I would hold it in place with pressure. You may need to used it on pulsed (which cuts the power in half - so you double your time) especially on dark haired dogs.
Does that help?
It really does depend on which laser your using.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I know how busy you are and really appreciate your time. We have a Respond Laser 2400 XL, so I do not think we have the capacity to pulse it. Do you think there is a difference for dark coated dogs between moving the head - vs - holding it away from the skin? Should I increase time by 25%, 50% if I do that?

Also, do you have your dates set for your courses in Santa Barbara in October yet? I would love to attend one of your classes again.

Thank You!
H

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Okay... you're right the single probe on the 2400 XL doesn't pulse. We have used it by moving the probe between two points (i.e. 3 beeps on one spot, 3 beeps at the next, go back to the first one, continue, until you get your desired dose. This is an option as well.
But, the moving it might work too! And I sort of like that option! I'd say increase your time by 50% would be a fair bet... just my best guess. I wouldn't use large sweeping movement, just slow movement back and forth in a region, then move to the next 'line' and repeat.

I think the further away you hold it from the skin (especially with overlying hair), you risk less penetration to deeper tissues, and more attenuation of power in the hair itself. That being said, there would still be some effectiveness never the less.

And, my dates for Santa Barbara will be October 19 - 23, 2018. Keep an eye out on the website http://www.atlasrehabforcanines.com. (Thanks for asking!)

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES