Post-Partum Therapy & Exercise

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Post-Partum Therapy & Exercise

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie, wondered if you could advise me on this message I received from a client regarding her Aussi bitch Shanti. She had 9 pups pre C section, only one survived as vet used contraindicated premed ...

From the owner:
"Shanti is starting to feel super energetic (she’s dictating walk length and is asking for an hour in morning and 30 minutes in afternoon for the last couple of days) and is starting to demand work, but she’s only 3 weeks post-C section and is feeding - I’m thinking that little one will be pretty much weaned at 5 weeks to help her back. I wanted to get your thoughts on the dangers of doing too much stuff with her, and what ‘work’ i can do safely, and when would be safe for her to see you again. I’d like to build her up on the water treadmill - wondered if I should do that to build up her strength before I take her to you?"

So my query is, presuming birches release same hormones to humans to relax ligaments for childbirth, how long before returning to normal and would this be a contraindication to joint mobs? I had to treat her back after the matings. Walking regime mentioned seems excessive to me for a feeding bitch, but she does only have one pup and enough milk for 9. I would have thought that UWTM a bit strenuous.
Your honoured opinion would be gratefully received
Cheers
Sally

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Post-Partum Therapy & Exercise

Post by lehughes »

A very thought provoking question!! I went online to see the general recommendations for humans and found it was all over the map. Anywhere from "start at 6 weeks", to "it will take 9 - 12 months to fully recover". But lots of references say that pelvic floor and core work can start whenever feeling up to it (i.e. earlier than 6 weeks). All in all, I would actually say that a controlled exercise program is likely far better than any 'self directed' program! And in regards to mobilizations, I don't think you need to worry. Manipulation with laxity could be more concerning, but mobilizations should be fine, and in fact, likely quite beneficial. In summation, I can't think of a reason to wait to come to physio!

Thanks for asking the question! It really made me think! Cheers! Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES