Slo Mo Gait Analysis Set up

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
Burnside84

Slo Mo Gait Analysis Set up

Post by Burnside84 »

HI!

I was wondering if anyone had any resources on how to set up a slo mo gait analysis set up? We obviously have the slo mo camera, but people seem to use reflective markers on joints and lines drawn out on the floor/wall etc - is there anything that gives a standardised setup? I have never done gait analysis in a lab so don't know the set up and reasoning behind it! We aren't doing any research so doesn't have to be exact but it would be great to have something set up in the clinic that enhances our slo mo footage and makes it more useful!

David Lane

Re: Slo Mo Gait Analysis Set up

Post by David Lane »

I would discourage you from getting too elaborate with your slow motion camera setup. The arthrokinematic studies that involve putting markers on the legs are time consuming to set up, and rely on computer analysis, not the naked eye. Without that computer analysis, I am skeptical that the markers would bring anything additional to the table.

I just use an ipad - it is quick, convenient, has a decent screen size, and perhaps most of all, I can use the scrub bar to view the video frame by frame immediately after taking them. In my hands, that works well.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Slo Mo Gait Analysis Set up

Post by lehughes »

What I found from doing our sporting dog assessments was that marking the floor in increments (just pick a distance... we used 15 cm), and putting two lines along the back wall (height markers), allowed us to re-watch the videos and look at foot fall and head or butt height during walking. Coach's Eye (app) is good to film in / view in... but when we downloaded the videos, they were just regular videos, and I was using just a visual analysis anyways. And I could slowly progress the video to watch / analyze whatever I needed.
I'd say don't get too fancy if you're not worried about research and 100% validity.
Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES