Managing Expectations (Bracing/Orthotics/Splinting)

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

Managing Expectations (Bracing/Orthotics/Splinting)

Post by lehughes »

Help out HERO with your findings:
Managing Expectations re: Bracing / Orthotics

Hello Friends,
Being an amputee and cancer survivor, I’m often asked to speak to people going through some pretty rough times. I like to think it’s because I’m witty and good at cheering people up, but I really just think it’s people are scared and don’t know what to say.

My residency director once asked me to talk to a very grumpy man who had just had his leg amputated. You know, the throwing the bedpan at the nurses type.

We went to visit the man in his hospital room. I was sure not to show him my leg.  We introduced ourselves as "the guys who make legs." For twenty minutes he ranted. I listened and agreed with all of his doom and gloom about what had happened.

After 20 minutes, I showed him I was an amputee. Then the REAL questions came.

How was he supposed to work? What was it going to be like with women?  ….

I answered them all very frankly.  It was not at all peaches and cream.

As we left the hospital, my residency director scolded me, “What the hell did you do? That guy is going to kill himself. You did not say one positive word in there.  I asked you to come cheer him up”

So what happened to that man?

Long term, I have no clue.  I never saw him again.  BUT….

I do know the next day the residency director came to me all happy, saying “He started physical therapy! He’s pleasant to be around!”

The thing is this guy started.  Starting is the toughest part.  The human mind can find so many reasons not to start.  

What my residency director viewed as negative was viewed differently by the patient.  He just needed someone to confirm his scariest thoughts so he didn’t have to stew over them anymore.

In this new year, Hero Braces is going to work on developing tools to help you manage expectations with your patients about bracing……

I was wondering if you could share your experiences with managing owner expectations about bracing?

What do you fear the owner is not understanding?

How do you present the brace option? What are the downsides you frontload?

Thank you for considering and have a great new year!!

Ben

Ben Blecha, CPO
ben@goherogo.com
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Managing Expectations (Bracing/Orthotics/Splinting)

Post by lehughes »

Hey Ben,

I hope you can get some responses here.
MY thoughts:

I want people to know that the orthotic / brace just by itself isn't 100% the answer. They still need to work with someone to ensure a joint / limb is properly strengthened, and that a problem area is being treated for pain, joint health etc.

I also want people to know that just because they put an orthotic on their dog's leg doesn't mean that they can go to the park right away and run / leap / play / bounce off of other dogs, etc!

I want people to know there are still limitations, and that healing still needs to occur (i.e. full cruciate, carpal hyperextension. The brace doesn't make them bionic!

I want people to know that they need to take the brace off (in a safe environment) for the animal to have time without it on!

MY thoughts. I hope you get more from others!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES