UWT advise and the VetRehab Chat Group

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

UWT advise and the VetRehab Chat Group

Post by lehughes »

Hello,

I am a practicing veterinarian in Illinois and am hoping to start offering some rehab in my clinic, starting with an underwater treadmill. I am an alumni of University of Tennessee, where dr. Marti Drum was my mentor. She recommended that I contact you. Dr. Drum mentioned that there is a Yahoo group for rehab professionals, and that you may be a moderator with the ability to add me to the group. My plan is to attend the CCRP training in March at Tennessee, but would love to have some knowledge to get moving on this project beforehand so I will be up and running when I finish my certification.

I am in the process of renovating part of my clinic so that I can purchase an underwater treadmill. I would love any guidance and wisdom you can impart on the selection of treadmills. The four I know of are the Furno, Oasis, Tudor, and AquaPaws. I know from my time at Tennessee that the Furno is not very easy to clean (at least the older models, not sure about newer ones). Would you have some models or companies that you know of that you would recommend, or not recommend?

Thank you for any and all help you can provide!

BD
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: UWT advise and the VetRehab Chat Group

Post by lehughes »

Hi B,

So, I have an educational website (FourLeg.com) that is continueing education for rehab professionals after or while they are doing their certification. I think I saw your name signed up for the free stuff. (When the time is right, you should sign up for the Full Membership. There are hundreds of videos, articles, audios, & newsletters for learning purposes. It’s become a huge library, and there is a forum within it as well.)

Now, as far as the VetRehab forum, there are two moderators last I checked - neither of them are me! Julie Mayer: dr.julie@integrativeveterinarian.com & Patti Triola: patpt1@sbcglobal.net were moderators last I checked.

It’s been a while since I’ve reviewed UWT’s. They really are a crap shoot. Service is the biggest issue once you get one. We have found that pool-places are great in regards to chemicals, pumps, etc. And my husband is a heavy duty mechanic - he’s been able to fix anything that has gone wrong with our. (You need folks that will think outside the box… and be responsive to your request!!)

Here is a document/list I created back in 2012 for a vet that was looking to add UWT at the time. Info may be old… and it’s not in a nice ‘neutral tone’, but it’s what I have on hand to share!

UWT Thoughts

Okay... so UWTM. Such a gong show. I have to say, I still like my Ferno (now Hudson, from the US)... but I think it is a matter of 'the devil you know'. No company will have good customer service. If anything goes wrong, you need to contact a heavy duty mechanic or a millwright - they will be able to figure out the motor / moving parts, etc. If you need help with the water / chemicals, then contact a hot tub company.

Okay... so as far as a style. Here's what I like: side panels that I can stand on to help neurologic dogs, or devise a platform for a stool to sit on for short neurologic dogs. We reversed the direction of our treadmill so that dogs walk towards the door they came in (facing out towards mom or dad). Ours used to go 0.3mph... but when Ferno came to 'fix it', it now only goes down to 0.8mph... which is a wee bit too fast for a newly walking paralyzed Daxie.

Looked at Pet Safe: like the dual doors...but it may take up more space because of that. Like the side standing panels (or at least what looks to be standing panels). don't like the height of the walls... too short. We've had some dogs try to jump out, and they just might make it with that height!

Oasis: Like Ferno is designed to have dogs walking towards a back wall - Dumb... but I think you can work it in reverse. Like the standing panels. Looks short to me. Like how easy it looks to lift and clean.

Therapy for Dogs: Looks okay... something about it looks less professional - maybe the big winch. However, at least they have come up with a system for lifting the treadmill - better than Ferno - we use two people and a couple of leashes to lift and hold the damn thing up for cleaning. I guess you could also use the winch for hold up paralyzed dogs as well. Don't like their 3 point door closing. Has standing panels - good. Short walls. A nervous dog could jump out…but you can reach over easily too!

Hudson / Ferno: Looks like they have upgraded quite a bit, but their walls are shorter... could be good if you have to jump in... but bad if the dog tries to jump out. It can now go faster than before - good for conditioning. Looks like you can also choose a longer one too. Standing panels - yes.

Hydrophysio: ??

All of these companies have gone with the digital touch screen. Colour me 'old'... but I don't trust that technology over the long haul! I didn't look at price... but I don't think these companies publish that on a website.

That's about all I can tell you... I'd love to have them side by side to trial and compare!

I hope this helps a little bit... but it's a total crap-shoot!

Best of luck to you, and enjoy the courses!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES