Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (Alpha Stim)

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
Nancytp

Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (Alpha Stim)

Post by Nancytp »

Is anyone familiar with Crnial Electrotherapy Stimulation (Alpha Stim)?

I have a client with a year old border collie that is coming in for a second opinion after 2 cruciate surgeries on 1 leg. The owner forwarded a report on hair testing for heavy metals (another topic ), adrenal and thyroid ..

They had recommended Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (Alpha Stim). Stating that " It is an FDA approved medical device for people that we use in animals for settling the nervous system (balancing the ANS-autonomic nervous system) & pain relief.". I'm not familiar with this.

They also recommended discontinuing omega 3 fatty acids in this young dog because it would slow down her thyroid. So if you have recommendations on papers showing the benefits of omega 3's for OA that I could pass on to the owners that would be great

Thanks,

Nancy

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (Alpha Stim)

Post by lehughes »

Hey Nancy!

We have two alpha-stim units at my clinic. We quite love them from acute pain or chronic pain, or anxiety. They do seem to help. I'm not sure I'd use them as a stand along therapy however. We only use the earclips (not the probes or pads). I've not have much success with the probes or pads (microcurrent), but the earclips, you can almost watch the dog chill out! There is some research out there (not tons, but some). You can see some of it in the Articles Section, under modalities - right after TENS I believe.

I'm surprised we didn't make you try them on when you were at my clinic!!!

As for the Omega comment! Wow, I have never heard of this regarding thyroid. Perhaps someone else has? There is plenty that validates Omega's from what I understand. I'll have to search for a paper to share.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Nancytp

Re: Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (Alpha Stim)

Post by Nancytp »

Thanks I will check it out

Nancy