UWT vs Swimming

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
lehughes
Site Admin

UWT vs Swimming

Post by lehughes »

This question comes along from a member based on my announcement that we are putting in an Endless Pool to augment our UWT service. She has a pool and has just acquired a used UWT.

So, to all of you who have both…
1) When do you chose one over the other?
2) Do you progress dogs from one to the other?
3) If yes to #2, then how?
4) Any other comments or suggestions in regards to having or using both UWT & Swimming.

At my clinic, we expect to primarily use the UWT for rehab of post-ops, geriatrics, and ambulatory neuro dogs, and the Pool for fitness / conditioning and immobile neuro dogs. But I’m guessing there are plenty of you with plenty of experience & suggestions!

So please, suggest away!

Thanks! Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

KKelly

Re: UWT vs Swimming

Post by KKelly »

Thanks Laurie - I wish there was more added by others. We have purchased an UWT and had planned on purchasing a pool that was for sale. Mostly to take it off the market as we would like to be the only hydro service in our town. However the installer and manufacturer of our UWT is arguing that we should not purchase the pool as we only need the UWT.

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: UWT vs Swimming

Post by lehughes »

Well, I think you can do most things with an UWT.
We will be using our pool primarily for conditioning dogs.
I also think it will prove to be beneficial for the early stage neuro dogs, where swimming & those kinds of leg motions seem to come back a bit sooner than coordinated walking.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES