Puppy Assessment for Mini Doxie

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
DeniseLaceyBaxter

Puppy Assessment for Mini Doxie

Post by DeniseLaceyBaxter »

Hi All,
I've viewed the two puppy assessment videos which were a lot of fun. (Laurie, I think there's potential for a drinking game somewhere in there!) Just wanted to know if the age range/limitations/restrictions for using manual therapy and modalities was the same for the miniature breeds? Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you!
Denise M Testa

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Puppy Assessment for Mini Doxie

Post by lehughes »

Hi Denise,

A drinking game?! Now I'm feeling self conscious, I must say something an awful lot!

I don't think there are age limits specifically for doing evaluations, manual therapy, or modalities. The earliest I've seen puppies was at 4 weeks (when the owners - two different litters - noticed that one puppy wasn't getting up and moving like the others). Both had SIJ dysfunctions, and doing the manual therapy had them walking within hours. BEFORE they are moving... I'm not sure you'd find anything, or perhaps that's naive of me... I've just never seen them earlier!

As far as modalities go. Research has shown that therapeutic uses of BOTH laser and ultrasound DO NOT have a deleterious effect on growth plates.

So, nope, I don't worry!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

DeniseLaceyBaxter

Post by DeniseLaceyBaxter »

Laurie thank you so much! As far as the game goes, it would probably be a shot every time the puppies go grrrrr.

Denise

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Ah! A drinking game for canine rehab nerds! I'm in!!! :)
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES