Under water treadmill

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
tania

Under water treadmill

Post by tania »

Hi all,
I have a question. I primarily do land based exercises and HEP, and use my uwtm very little (only post sx, for very painful OA dogs, and sometimes neuro patients and the odd dog for cardiovascular conditioning).
I have increased requests from potential clients that tell me "their vet recommend strengthening using the uwtm"... it drives me crazy...
MY comment is 2 fold...first, only doing once or maybe twice a week in the uwtm will not strengthen- right? 2. We know, that most often the uwtm in these dogs is for bouyancy=less resistance, so how exactly are we strengthening? Trying to change preceptions is so darn difficult. Wondering what others tell clients for strengthening and the uwtm vs land based exercises. I could take their money and say ya sure i am strengthening...but i just can't justify that.

i would appreciate any comments..
tania

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Under water treadmill

Post by lehughes »

We pretty much only use our for those same things as well.

We do have some sporting dogs using it - high speed, med height water, and chug away for 20 - 30 minutes. But they are already fit and using it as an indoor cardiovascular exercise.

Beyond that, I tell clients that it is essentially a cross training tool. But it is not specific enough to help strengthen specific muscle groups. So perhaps phrase it as: "You can use it as a cross training tool, but I'll also have to give you plenty of homework to work specific muscles. OR you can walk your dog at home and I can do the specific exercises here as part of her/his rehab program!"

;)

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES