Kegals for dogs

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
JaneHK

Kegals for dogs

Post by JaneHK »

HI- has anyone used Kegal type exercises in dogs for USMI? And if so how/ what? My patient is a 7yo female spay weimaraner responsive to PPA.

I found this on a site..... http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/200 ... g-spay.htm

'I was recently reading about a spayed female dog who started leaving puddles when she was sleeping. The owners started her on a tail-wagging program to increase the strength of her pelvic floor muscles (like Kegels for dogs). They taught her to wag her tail on command by shaping the tail wag using a clicker and treats, and eventually got her to the point where she could wag vigorously when asked to. She stopped leaking about a week after the regular wagging exercises began. Now she does 3 sets of 30 wags every day, and she has never leaked again. This is a possible option for you to try for a non-drug option for spay-incontinence.'

Your thoughts/ experience much appreciated.
Jane

David Lane

Re: Kegals for dogs

Post by David Lane »

Does your dog have any lower back pain? Anything from L4 to SIJ? I definitely see USMI cases that improve or resolve with treating lower back pain. My personal favourite tools are to combine manual therapy with acupuncture and laser. Subjectively, I find males with USMI are even more likely to respond. USMI is a multi-factorial disease, and I am firmly convinced that paresis secondary to increased pressure on peripheral nerves is one of the unrecognized contributing variables. If you happen to get a case where it is the primary or sole contributing factor, then you can get good non-pharmacologic resolution of the condition.

If tail wagging is enough to invoke a change, perhaps adding tail pulls to the therapeutic program will also be of benefit.
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Did you check out Training Videos 103 - 105, and the audio on incontinence on women? I've done a whole series on dealing with incontinence

Part of what's in there is to look at the the L/S and SIJ. I agree with David, this is a very under-recognized cause for incontinence.

I've never heard of trained tail wagging! Could be that it affected the muscles and fascia overlying the SIJ as well as working the coccygeal muscles.

All the best!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

JaneHK

Post by JaneHK »

Thank you v much!! I'll look into the vids and the doggy (not seen yet).