Acupuncture training

Discussion regarding whatever other odd-ball stuff that has been thrown your way!
URUGUAY

Acupuncture training

Post by URUGUAY »

Foe those of you that have done Acupuncture, Can you tell me pros and cons of IVAS course vs Chi Institute?

michellemason

Re: Acupuncture training

Post by michellemason »

I just finished the IVAS course and I loved it. I didn't realize going in that it was so heavily geared toward the TCVM perspective, but I ended it up really enjoying it. I think they do a really good job of balancing the TCVM with a more western approach. I highly recommend it. I also know people who have had a great experience with the Chi Institute. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

And then there is the one at the University of Colorado, which is primarily Medical / Anatomical / Western I believe.

As a PT in Canada, we have access to several school for acupuncture training, and most are Westernized - as that's what fits in with our scope of practice. I liked not having to think a whole other way (i.e. TCM), and should I wish to pursue the TCM side further, I could take additional courses for that. However, the western acupuncture fits my needs from a neuromusculoskeletal perspective.

My 2 cents for what their worth!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

sunami83

Post by sunami83 »

Perhaps a bit far to travel if you're in the US, but I recommend the aupuncture courses run by Longview CPD (Samantha Lindley); http://www.longviewveterinaryservices.c ... ncture.php. You can then do a GP (or Nurses) certificate through the European School of Veterinary Postgraduate Studies (and also I believe a Masters Degree in Western Veterinary Acupunture and Pain Management through Harper Adams University if you're really into it ;)). I'm in the process of doing a Nurses Certificate and couldn't be happier with the courses. I've done all the modules (including the pain modules which I didn't have to do as part of the Nurses Certificate) and am in the process of doing my case studies and reports. Learned loads and didn't have to go through all the TCM stuff. The course is very structured, scientifical and practical (most of the needling is done on humans though, because in Britain you're not allowed to practice needling healthy animals) which suited me very well :)

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

I took IVAS, so it is the only one with which I have direct experience… anything else I’m about to say is hearsay.
IVAS is a blend of eastern and western. You don’t learn much about herbs
Chi institute is more eastern and you learn about herbs as well
Colorado is very western, and you only learn about a few points
Rick Wall’s program teaches dry needling of trigger points, but no acu-points, so is purely an MSK application

David Lane
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

lfry

Post by lfry »

Acupuncture is such a wonderful addition to rehab practice! I certified through the medical acupuncture for veterinarians course and I've also been instructor in the course for many years. It's a fantastic neuroanatomical he an evidence-based approach to Acupuncture. There is extensive discussion of myofascial issues and neuromofulation. You are exposed to all the points over 300, so not exactly true that you only focus on a few! Integrates very well with physical medicine approaches.

KimB

Post by KimB »

I'm a bit confused about requirements for acupuncture for canine rehab in Canada, particularly Alberta. I'm not on the registration to use needles and have only taken from acupuncture Canada; AA1: Foundations of Anatomical Acupuncture. What is needed, what path forward would you recommend, and I am concerned about the cost as these courses are rather expensive?

Thanks
Kim

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hey Kim,

So, knowing that you are Physio in Canada, you have a number of different human options. The Animal Rehab Division of the CPA is working on creating a transition course for PTs to transfer their human acup & Animal Rehab Diploma to animals. At this point, those of us doing it have taken certification in human acup. and have training in animal rehab... and the transition is fairly direct. There are differences of opinions out there as to whether acup should only be in the domain of vet med... and most of that comes from locations where PTs don't do acup on humans either. I see acupuncture as very much being a "physical" "therapy", and as such a tool that could be utilized by physical therapists with certification in both animal rehab & acupuncture.

So my suggestion would be to continue on with a human certification and your canine rehab certification and go from there.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

KimB

Post by KimB »

Thanks Laurie!