Weight Loss Programs

Discussion related to starting up, operating, or growing a canine rehab business, and marketing of the same.
lehughes
Site Admin

Weight Loss Programs

Post by lehughes »

Hi Gang,

So now I want to get discussion flowing about Weight Loss programs. What have people tried? What works and what doesn't?

At my clinic, we are just finishing up a 2 month trial of our weigh-loss program and we're quite happy with it.

Essentially diet is king! But we bring them in for UWT, coaching, measurements, weigh-in's, etc. I think the encouragement, coaching & being given a structured program & dietary advice is critical to success. The UWT is likely just 'bonus' and a way to get them in and keep the owner motivated. But that is a huge factor in the success! If weight loss were so simple as just being given the 'tools for success' we'd all be super-models!!!!

Okay - so you're turn! What features have you included (or think you should include) in a weight-loss program (For dogs :lol: )?

Thanks!
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

DeniseLaceyBaxter

Re: Weight Loss Programs

Post by DeniseLaceyBaxter »

These are the big 3 for me as far as weight loss goes...
#1. Evaluate both body condition and muscle condition (especially in senior dogs).

#2. Account for everything that goes in! When I first did diet calculations, often the owners would forget the cream cheese or chicken given with medications, the treats...you get the picture. Now they need to list everything :D.

#3. Adjust the exercise/conditioning accordingly. I also use many more activity factors for my diet calcs than I did in the past. And don't be afraid to make multiple changes along the way.

Laurie good for you with the diet. Earlier this year at my annual (well it was more like 1 1/2 years), I had gained 17 pounds since last visit. So I did my own diet calcs using the above parameters. Have an app on my phone that does the calculations for various foods and portions (who knew that Guiness Stout is only 126 calories!) I lost 15 pounds in 3 months. Maybe someone should do an app for the dogs ??

Anyway my two cents.
Denise M Testa,

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Weight Loss Programs

Post by lehughes »

Thanks for your thoughts Denise!

And I wish someone would cook for me and monitor my food intake as well!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES