How to Market to other vet clinics

Discussion related to starting up, operating, or growing a canine rehab business, and marketing of the same.
lehughes
Site Admin

How to Market to other vet clinics

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie!

How have you been? I know you are a super busy lady but I was hoping you could give me some quick advice :)

I am trying to figure out the most efficient and effective way to reach out to local clinics to spread the word about our rehab department. I know clinics will have concerns because we are affiliated with a day practice so I want to make sure I ease those concerns as well and we do have a non-compete policy.

My practice manager would like me to call/email the surrounding clinics to introduce myself and our services, which makes sense, but I don't really feel my time is best spent googling the contact information for all of the surrounding clinics and determining the best contact person to talk to.

I was thinking of creating a one page introduction letter that we could email to all the clinics but I wasn't sure how you would suggest following up beyond that.
Did you call the clinics yourself initially or did someone from your practice set up a time for you to speak directly with someone from the other clinics? I have no ownership in this practice so maybe it’s a different situation.

We have an idea to send our business cards/brochures with some bagels or treats to the clinics also. Since Covid is still an issue I'm not planning to offer lunch and learn right now but I like the idea of sending goodies. Would you send that to all the clinics or just ones that you spoke to and showed interest?

I also wondered if it would be a good idea to provide a short, general post-op protocol for clinics that showed interest (basic stuff like ice and PROM) along with the marketing material but I don't know if that is something that clinics would be likely to utilize and keep our logo on to give to clients vs just taking the info and recreating it for their own clinic. Do you offer that?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'm not having many people coming in the door right now and I'm starting to panic!

Have a great weekend!
S

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: How to Market to other vet clinics

Post by lehughes »

Hey Stephanie!

Okay… so you’re in luck… this is a topic I’ve done lots of Audios & a couple of videos on. So I’ll direct you there first.

Business & Marketing - Part 3: Crafting Your Marketing Message
Business & Marketing - Part 4: The Foundation of Relationship Marketing
Business & Marketing - Part 10 - Increasing Revenue
Business & Marketing - Part 17 - Getting Doctor Referrals
Business & Marketing - Part 18 - Target Market Sequencing (to get vet referrals)
Business & Marketing - Part 23 - The Cats & Dogs of Marketing

Video Training 127: Marketing Part 1
Video Training 128: Marketing Part 2

So, it’s not quite a QUICK question. But you basically need a multi step plan.

First point of contact.
Second point of contact.
Third point of contact.

Divide you vets into categories - A’s and B's. (A’s are the ones that you really want to work with OR who have already shown to be supportive). Do more for them… target market directly to them. B’s - send them info… but don’t worry as much about all of the steps.

So, you would start with sending an info package.
Follow up with a gift / something yummy or interesting.
Follow that up with a phone call to ask if they got it and request a meeting.
Meet / Visit (if able)
In the meeting (and the phone call) make it just as much about ASKING ABOUT THEIR PRACTICE. How can you help.

Create a policy (i.e. your clinic won’t accept one of their referred clients AS a client at your clinic within a year from the referral - or something like that.)

A handout / protocol would only be useful to give out if in association with you being able to do a lunch and learn and show them how to do things properly. (Otherwise it devalues the whole thing - i.e. just that easy to follow a protocol)

THEN… increase your PUBLIC outreach / marketing directly to the public. HANDS DOWN, you will get more referrals from being visible to the public!
Articles, Video training, Responding Qs on local FB groups, Increase your FB presence for the Rehab Department…

I hope this helps! I’ll also add this to the FourLeg Forum and see if anyone else want’s to jump in!

Best of luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES