Who owns the exercise?

Discussion related to starting up, operating, or growing a canine rehab business, and marketing of the same.
lehughes
Site Admin

Who owns the exercise?

Post by lehughes »

A person that teaches exercise / conditioning classes & materials sent me a message asking me to mention her name in any of my exercise videos if I am using exercises from her classes. She wouldn’t give any more specifics but wants professional courtesy. Many of the exercises I have been posting are foundation exercises that I learnt in a variety of places. She does not own these exercises (as she has also stated). I just don’t know what to do. More videos are being released that are similar to some of her stuff, but I either add/deleted certain things, put my own training spin on it etc. We sorta went back and forth – not getting anywhere and ended with her saying she doesn’t want to argue about it but wants a mention. I am not comfortable with this. That is like giving credit to authors for human exercises we prescribe all the time. Any ideas on what I can say? I hate conflict/tension.
-C

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Who owns the exercise?

Post by lehughes »

Well... and I could say that same thing about the exercises I have taught to people over the years. Most of them I invented. Nobody taught me... but seriously, how would I ever keep track of people using / filming them and posting them and not giving me credit... and get real! Once they're out there, they're out there!
So I would tell her that the exercises you have up are from a multitude of training resources. Some you have modified. Some you have invented. All in all, you re filming your own so as to not infringe on anyone else's material. If or when you publish them in a consolidated formate, she, along with countless others, will be referenced. However, this is not something you are able to do (especially given the fact that there is so much cross over between exercises and exercise creators) for any one individual exercise.

Laurie

PS... I'm not going to name any names, but I am going to post this on the FourLeg Forum... I think it's good info & might bring about a good discussion.
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Who owns the exercise?

Post by lehughes »

Sure! I agree with you completely and had told her things come multiple sources.. and hard to give reference and keep track of who does what. If I copied it exactly and it was And advanced exercise then sure but there is always multiple spins on things and how to train it.. imagine we did this human exercises?? It’s a good topic! Just making sure I wasn’t off basis 🙂 you confirmed it
-C