Business Start Up

Discussion related to starting up, operating, or growing a canine rehab business, and marketing of the same.
lehughes
Site Admin

Business Start Up

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, I really appreciate all your help and have looked in the forum, old newsletters etc to see if you’ve talked about this anywhere.

In starting a canine rehab business, I feel like there should be a step that I’m missing somehow re: regulations. I’m in Alberta and feel like I’m in no mans land between the CPA and ABVMA. I feel like the steps to incorporate, hAve insurance for animal and human patients, insurance for my business property. Etc are logical steps but there’s no real reporting to any agency? I’ve been hunting the ABVMA site to see any requirements.

Am I missing something super obvious?

Also, going from human to canine patients, when in your training do you think it’s ok to start treating animals. After completing the full CCRT program for example? I worry that if it takes me a year to finish the program and don’t have my hands on gaining experience that I won’t build skills and will forget the Old stuff before I put it into practice.

Thanks
KB
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Business Start Up

Post by lehughes »

Hi K,

So, there is NO regulation for us when practicing animals in Canada. I am working with / consulting with BC and with ON right now… as they are moving forwards with projects.
ABVMA will not help you and Physiotherapy Alberta will not help you.
You are unregulated in this area of practice for now. And in Alberta, the definition of vet medicine is prescription of drugs, surgery, & ova & embryo transplant. So, you will not be practicing vet medicine... but you won't be practicing physiotherapy either (because it's not on humans.) So you are unregulated... but so are Massage Therapists in this province, and they are everywhere.

In regards to beginning to practice, CCRT is the designation given out by The Canine Rehab Institute in the US, CCRP is the designation given out by the University of Tennessee, Diploma in Canine Rehabilitation is the designation given out by the Animal Rehab Division of the CPA. If you are taking the ARD courses, then we tend to tell folks that after you have done the home study and the Intro to Canine Rehab course, you are likely okay to work with simple cases (i.e. straight forward post-ops) or to dabble with your own dogs / friends dogs. We think that you are able to take cases and market yourself to vets & the public after taking the Advanced Course. We would like to see folks get their Diploma before really ‘hanging their shingle out’ (so to speak).

Between your Intro and your Advanced course is a great time to do some shadowing at vet clinics or with physios practicing in canine rehab. Your diploma requires 40 hours of vet shadowing (not necessarily rehab, but vet med in general)… so you can start that after your Intro course to ‘see more, learn more, appreciate more’.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES