Home based business

Discussion related to starting up, operating, or growing a canine rehab business, and marketing of the same.
KimB

Home based business

Post by KimB »

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone practices out of there home? Just starting myself and previously have only had human patients. I think starting out part time with animals having appointments in my home or mobile appointments would be a great way to contain costs for a new practitioner wanting their own business. Any learnings, warnings, resources you would suggest?
Thanks
Kim

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Home based business

Post by lehughes »

Things to consider:

Separate entrance if possible and/or an entrance that leads right to your treatment room and doesn't traipse people through your house.
And you may need to look at additional insurance (business liability insurance).
You may need to get special permitting to run a home-based business.

Then, as someone who has been there / done that.
Create your boundaries: When you do take patients? When do you return calls? Space between appts to allow one person to leave before the next person gets there... or a system that people are alerted to in regards to when they are allowed to come to the door. Separate washroom?
All the usual business stuff: charting, vet communication, modalities, exercise equipment...

It worked for me when my kids were little. My Mom could come over and look after them or my hubby in the evenings while I saw a few appointments. But then it got to a point where I was too busy and I needed to get it out of the house! It's a starting point!

Best of luck!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

KimB

Re: Home based business

Post by KimB »

Thanks Laurie