Pricing for post-op packages

Discussion related to starting up, operating, or growing a canine rehab business, and marketing of the same.
lehughes
Site Admin

Pricing for post-op packages

Post by lehughes »

Dear Laurie,
I hope you are well, and wishing you a belated Happy New Year!

Laurie, would you have experience with an enquiry like below?
I am very keen to work with them, but not sure how to calculate my fees, as not all dogs take the same time for rehab as you know, and not all owners follow instructions… the positive thing is, that they will likely make a better effort if physio is "prepaid" by them as part of package. I mostly work with TPLO's, but assume TTA recovery is similar, but should I just charge for 10 sessions? What if a dog needs 14, is it all at my cost then? Or if they just need 8-9 session? Or will it balance out over time? Not sure how to handle this to be on the safe side for all, but principally think this is good forward thinking by the vet(s) and want to support it!
Maybe this is a subject for your blog for others too?
Massive hugs,
T.

Hi T,
I hope you are keeping well. At the clinic we have recently been
discussing the potential advantages that physiotherapy could provide
to some of our orthopedic cases.
Currently we are performing 6/7 TTA surgeries per year. Would you have
any interest in providing a TTA rehabilation package? We feel that as
it is quite an expensive surgery we would feel more comfortable
suggesting a package deal to our clients rather than referring for
physiotherapy sessions without a monetary limit. Looking forward to
hearing your thoughts on this matter.
Best wishes,
E. M., MVB
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Pricing for post-op packages

Post by lehughes »

Hi T!

So, when we’ve looked into doing a package or even just to estimate the cost of rehab, it likely makes more sense to ‘reverse engineer’ it.
Basically, look at what your ideal therapy regimen would be: twice a week for 12 weeks? Or maybe once a week for 12 weeks.
I think that latter would be bare bones minimum. But maybe that’s the place to start.

12 sessions at $??.?? per session and then put in your discount (i.e. 10% - no higher).
If you want, you could also offer a smaller package i.e. 6 sessions at $??.?? per session with a lesser discount (i.e. 5%) that clients could purchase if they are coming to the end of their 12 and want more… OR if the case requires more care early on, and so they run out of sessions before rehab really should be over.

Essentially YOU should never lose money on this. The package they buy should only cover a certain amount of visits (maximum), but no minimum. So if the people decide they’re done at 10 visits, they don’t get a refund. OR if they want out before 6 treatments, they would only get a refund for the remainder of what the difference would be between what they paid minus what 6 visits at FULL cost would have been. (You need to think of these issues before hand, so you have policies in place in your mind should they come up!) Of course if something terrible were to happen to the patient, you have the flexibility to do whatever you need from a compassion standpoint.

I would go with 12 sessions. That would be the ideal. If they live far away and you would’t be able to see them once a week, then maybe offer them the 6-session package.

I hope this helps with your thought-processing on this matter! All the best!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES