Excessively flexed toes

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
Kriszty

Excessively flexed toes

Post by Kriszty »

Hi Laurie
Had an odd one today (not one of mine for once!) F.S 2yo Springer Spaniel who intermittently excessively flexes/grabs with the toes of her front feet. Can do it when lying down but also when she is training agility, O has seen it doing 2o2o contacts, also thinks she has seen it when landing from a jump causing her to face plant. Has had her hips, elbows and neck xrayed when spayed, all NAD. On exam I couldn't find anything much on her, would call her a bit hare footed but comfortable on everything incl toe flexion and extension. No idea where to go with this, O is concerned she will injure her toes doing this and I could see what.
received_3218497591743022.jpeg
received_3218497591743022.jpeg (98.12 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
received_3170815299802164.jpeg
received_3170815299802164.jpeg (113.72 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
received_3170815299802164.jpeg
received_3170815299802164.jpeg (113.72 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Please can you let me know your thoughts, much appreciated!
Attachments
received_610255374023937.jpeg
received_610255374023937.jpeg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Excessively flexed toes

Post by lehughes »

FASCINATING!

I've never seen this before and on a quick google search, I'm not getting any hits for what it might be IF it's a congenital thing...

So, I can't give you anything definitive to go on. Perhaps a vet could pipe up if this is a 'known thing' and I'm waaay off based here.

Here's what I would do and think if this was my patient.

So, the flexed positioning, especially in lying looks almost like a contracture of the flexor tendons. I would try to stretch out the individual toes with the elbow in flexion so as there is the greatest amount of tension on the SFDT and DDFT. I would try to isolate each tendon and compare... and compare from side to side and compare all toes. I'd check the back legs too - just to see how 'systemic' this is.

Can dogs get Dupuytren's Contractures? Quick googling doesn't come up with a hit on that.

Might it just be congenital. My sheltie has a weird congenital abnormality that I just learned has a name. (Brachydactyly and/or Short Toe Syndrome)

So, the only CANINE thing I can think of, because I have a Beagle Breeder that has informed me about it is Musladin-Leuke Syndrome (MLS)... It appears to be a connective tissue disorder that makes these dogs excessively stiff, and one thing that they see is that the feet are very tight (almost the appearance of a dog with an gastroc avulsion but SFDF's are intact). Not quite the same as what is being presented. here.
I looked up Springer Spaniel genetic problems feet... but on quick glancing, I can't find THIS problem.

I guess, all I can say is do the tests described above, try stretching them out.

????? Weird!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Adding an additional reply.

Is it only the one foot?

If yes, how is sensation... there is a weird Springer thing where they lose sensation and then start to traumatize the foot. Doesn't look like the right scenario.

So, my other thinking is lack of opposition to the Flexor tendons... So test the flexibility of the extensor tendons. Flexing each toe with the elbow straight. Compare side to side and amongst all toes.

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks Laurie
Yes super weird! Only on front feet but O has seen both front feet, more R than L.
Her feet definitely aren’t super tight, if anything they are more lax with more of a hare foot (definitely not cat foot).
Whatever this is, do you think anything might be treatable and prognosis for agility? I will do as you suggest when I see her on Sun :)

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I'd still go through each and every tendon...

But, if you can't find something to work on / stretch out / strengthen / protect...
then, the prognosis isn't great for this dog to compete in agility. Maybe low impact stuff - just for fun, but if the dog is already doing face-plants when landing a jump, then that's not safe!!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't feel any difference in any of the tendons in elbow flexion or extension. O will seehow she goes, I couldn't really think of anything surgical either that might help.

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Some footage from the owner
https://youtu.be/B3cb1CINZuo

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Okay... THAT looks a bit neurologic.
My head is thinking peripheral nerve... which has to be affecting radial nerve, but just distal to the elbow.

Regardless of actual diagnosis - I'd say "no" to agility.

One other idea: Can you flex the carpus with the elbow straight? (i.e. avulsion of the ECR tendons... doesn't make sense to affect toes, BUT if the carpus gives way, then perhaps the buckling starts higher.)
It's not the presentation I've seen before, but I'm throwing it out and an additional idea.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES