Reluctance to extend shoulder in sidelying only

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
Kriszty

Reluctance to extend shoulder in sidelying only

Post by Kriszty »

Hi Laurie,
This is about my young dog(2yo FS BCx 8kg). She consistently does not allow me to extend her R shoulder but only when she is lying flat in lateral recumbency. In standing/sitting she is fine, she is also happy to stretch it actively through a deep playbow. Have checked all the usual candidates (teres, biceps, supraspinatus 1st rib c7 triceps ) and only maybe got a tiny reaction to c7 that was it. Any ideas as to what might be going on?
I am getting the shockwave guy out to treat my other dogs gastrocs and hamstrings so I'm thinking about just diffusely shockwaving her shoulder and C7, good idea or not?
Thanks as always!
Kriszty

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Reluctance to extend shoulder in sidelying only

Post by lehughes »

Hey Kriszty,

So, either your dog is just apprehensive with the vulnerability of being in side lie and the shoulder extension...
Or there is an actual shoulder problem (which, if that is true, I'd place my bet on Medial Shoulder Hypermobility),
And/Or you aren't getting into end range extension when your dog is sitting or standing (try standing).
You can add abduction as well from the standing position. I've done this often, and sometimes show owners how to do it... because lying them down to try and get a shoulder click isn't always practical in a sporting even or before going into a show ring.

I've not shockwaved the C/S. Wait, I tried it once, but didn't see any changes. I tried it on my own C/S and it was not comfortable and I think irritated the nerves. So, other than lumbosacral junction (L-S disc disease dogs), I don't tend to use it on the spine.
However, I don't think that C7 is causing the issues in this scenario anyways.

Sorry for the tardy reply. If you did try it... let me know if you found a difference!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Kriszty

Post by Kriszty »

Thanks for the reply. I have been shockwaving her biceps and medial shoulder and have her in a shoulder rehab program and she seems happier to let me extend it lying down :)

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Fabulous!!!
L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES