Kyphosis in my puppy

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Kyphosis in my puppy

Post by lehughes »

This is an email that came in, but I thought it would be good to share here as well.

Hello Laurie,

I’m a physical therapist from Minnesota and I have a five month old puppy that might be developing excessive kyphosis. I was searching online and I found your name and contact info. I really have no idea if the curve of my puppy’s spine is a normal developmental growth pattern or is abnormal, so thought I would reach out to see if you feel her spinal curvature is normal or not. I will attach a few pictures so you can get an idea. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
KB
Attachments
PuppyPics.png
PuppyPics.png (117.33 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Kyphosis in my puppy

Post by lehughes »

HI K,

Okay, so I’m happy to pass along my thoughts and ideas.

1) She (I think it’s a she. You don’t say, but there are no ‘dangling’ appendages, so I’m going with that!), looks to be a little high in the rear right now. That can be completely normal as the puppy grows. Sometimes for up to 2 years. High in rear. High in front. Maybe one week of looking good. Then more growth spurts of various appendages take them off course again for a wee bit. Honestly, I think that THIS is likely all that is happening. It’s why breeders will check and stack their puppies between 6 - 8 weeks of age… because after that they grow in various spurts until they are two years old.

2) Now, just to be sure, I’d find someone to check your puppy’s pelvis (SIJs), spine, and ribs for pain. The kyphosis in your pup doesn’t quite look the same as dogs that roach because of pain… but better safe than sorry. If you’re able to do this, even better! As a resource… if you’ve not done any hands on canine rehab training yet, then look into this resource - Basic Manual Therapy for the Canine Axial Skeleton, from my website.
https://www.fourleg.com/Products

3. It doesn’t hurt to start working on some posture, balance, and body awareness exercises sooner than later. I’d suggest ‘plank’, pelvic tilts in lying, and any sort of cavalettis and weaves over and around objects. I’ll send them to you from an online exercise prescription platform, so you can see them as videos as well as pictures and descriptions.

I hope this helps to give you some ideas, feedback, and direction!

All the best!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES