Pacing in the underwater treadmill

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
Nancytp

Pacing in the underwater treadmill

Post by Nancytp »

I have seen a 3 year old agility border collie after a suspected FCE when presented to the university. She initially had bilateral CP deficits in both rear legs worse on the L. I saw her 3 weeks later with no deficits. We worked on developing an exercise plan to help with balance, proprioception along with some strengthening.

She lives 3 hours away from me and the dog is doing very well. She just started UWTM with the dog and she is very concerned because she is pacing if the speed is above 2.5ml/hr and water is at elbow height. She does not normally pace.

She asked the clinic to challenge the dog so she wants a faster speed. This dog really is an athlete and well muscled.

I don't think the owner is doing to take "its ok to pace in the treadmill"

Suggestions on the pacing?

Ways to challenge an athlete in the underwater treadmill that is not just increased speed?

I have thought about intervals, going backwards in the treadmill, paws on a bench and only working front or back legs. Possible theraband resistance when in the water?

Thanks for any help

Nancy Peterson
Pawsitive Strides Veterinary Rehabilitation and Therapy
Des Moines, IA

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Pacing in the underwater treadmill

Post by lehughes »

Hey Nancy!

Great question and a common concern! Pacing is typical in the UWT. It's an easier way to move against the water. I always tell folks not to worry about it too much and to think of the UWT as a cross training tool (not the only way to condition a dog... and that pacing in the UWT doesn't necessarily translate to a learned movement adaptation on land.

That being said, we have found some reasons for it occurring and some strategies to minimize pacing in the UWT.
1. If you build up the treadmill speed slowly and gradually, then the dog naturally moves from walk to amble to pace. The correction for this is to start with a warm up period, and then dramatically jump the speed up. Sometimes this quick transition will evoke a trot versus the slow evolution to a pace.
2. We've played around with dramatic speed changes per session as well. Sometimes this kicks a dog out of the pacing habit.
3. I like interval training better than slow and steady cardio increases. It ends up being a combination of points 1 & 2. Warm up, then dramatic increase in speed for 30 seconds, then down again for 1 minute, then dramatic increases in speed again for 45 seconds to a minute, then down again. It's call high intensity interval training. It provides as much cardiovascular work as slow and steady but in a fraction of the time. It keeps the dogs better engaged as well. And the owner and UWT operator can cheer them on during the high intensity intervals. Just a different way of accomplishing the same goal.
4. Play around with water height. I'd use the stifle as your guide post. Try having the water at stifle height, thus stimulating a 'high step' reaction (according to research). In higher water, it's easier to move at a pace. You might be able to get a trot with lowering the water height. (Not to mention that more muscle activity is seen at a lower water height as well.) For that matter... try changing the water height during a session for the purpose of recruiting different muscles and movement strategies (sales pitch... but it makes sense in my head that it could be used strategically.)

We've not done much in the UWT in regards to walking backwards or using just front or back legs, but I do love these combos on the land treadmill where I can provide resistance to a limb and/or keep a dog in place. I've not gotten into theraband resistance on the land treadmill or the UWT. I'm not sure of what I think about that to be honest. It could be worth a try however. Maybe it's just me, but the dogs don't always fight against it like I'd like them to... so I find manual resistance better.

I hope this helps.

Check out:

FourLeg News: 2019: March-April: Volume 8, Issue 2 (hydrotherapy issue)
&
FourLeg News: 2012 July-Aug: Volume 1, Issue 3 (novel exercise concepts - HIIT)

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Nancytp

Re: Pacing in the underwater treadmill

Post by Nancytp »

helps a lot. Thanks as always for your input