Supplements for Sport

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Supplements for Sport

Post by lehughes »

Regarding: https://www.fourleg.com/Blog/432/Dietar ... ting)-Dogs

Very interesting about the supplement! I love all your stuff. Would you consider using that supplement for agility dogs, and if yes, do you know if it is available in the states??
S

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Supplements for Sport

Post by lehughes »

Hey S,

I’ve not looked, but I don’t think that supplement is available on this side of the water.
But one could look for it online and find a comparable.
On the FourLeg FB page, a South African physio looked deeper into the article and saw that the ‘basal diet’ was what she felt to be low in protein anyways… so the supplement just increased that.
Was that the root of the improvement? Could the same improvements be seen with a higher protein diet? Don’t know… but those are the things that make interpreting research so hit and miss.

I'll post her comments here:

Ansi Van Der Walt: That's really interesting. Unfortunately they don't break down the amino acid profile of the 'base diet', they just say 'protein'. Much of what is in the supplement should hopefully be in a good quality diet. The protein percentage in the base diet is very low for a working dog. So the question is then - is it the octaconasole that made the difference or just the greater amino acid availability. Would be interesting to repeat this study with half of the dogs on the base diet and half on a higher protein diet.

Cheers!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES