Jogging with a puppy

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Jogging with a puppy

Post by lehughes »

I have a general question, I've had owners ask me when they can start taking their puppy running/jogging with them and I know vets talk about growth plates needing to be closed but some of my human patients are middle school athletes and their growth plates aren’t closed and they run. So I was going to tell them maybe wait until 6 months to do maybe 1-2 miles no more than 3 times a week? And then 9 months maybe 3-4 miles? Is that too aggressive?

KA

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Jogging with a puppy

Post by lehughes »

Nobody actually knows in regards to running and growth plates. The current recommendations are a bit 'fear based'... but nothing is researched. I know of a husky breeder, and they get their pups started quite a bit earlier! So, you know, I quite like your recommendations. I'd say that's sensible!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Thank you! I guess I was going off the new pediatric recommendations for nothing over a 5k for children under 8 and trying to make it apply to dogs😊
K

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Yes! It makes a lot of sense when you put it into 'human' terms!
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

David Lane

Post by David Lane »

I never answer in terms of distance a puppy can run because if varies widely with breed and condition of dog, type of terrain etc. Instead I stick with general principals in terms of slow increase in exercise volume over time while monitoring for evidence of fatigue etc. I get most concerned with any activity where it is the human, rather than the dog, that determines the pace. ie: if the dog is zipping back and forth off leash the whole time (free play running), then it doesn't matter if the owner is walking or jogging. By extension, if the dog's pace remains the same, then a 3km jog is easier on the dog than a 3km walk because the duration of the exercise will be shorter - ie: the outing will be harder on the owner who is moving faster, but easier on the dog.

I really like Chris Zink's poster on this topic: https://www.avidogzink.com/shop/posters ... ne-poster/
David Lane DVM
ACVSMR, CVA, CVSMT, CCRP

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hey David,

I like the poster too... but again, there isn't anything to go on that has been researched.
And I hear you about the freedom to choose the speed etc.
One could argue that the dog would / could do more than the human if he/she was off leash.
It's such a tough call.
I would say that your rationale is why I don't like the thought of long distance biking with dogs.
Ahhhh...
You're also right that when it comes down to it, you can give an idea of where to start, but most important would be a lecture about what to look for in regards to signs of fatigue.

It's never cut and dry!

L
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES