Tug of war over obstacle...

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
cansk8@ac.com

Tug of war over obstacle...

Post by cansk8@ac.com »

"- Tug of war over obstacles (like a broad jump - weaving back and forth over it as you tug). I really like tug as an concentric exercise for the iliopsoas."

Laurie- I read this comment from you on another post and for the life of me, I just can not picture in my mind's eye!!

A broad jump can have any where from 1-4 planks and I love it for the active stretch it does for the iliopsoas and try to do it often for my own dogs and I recommend it for my agility friends!

Having said this, I'm not understanding the mechanics of this one. A big dog like a GSD has the maximum 4 planks. So where is the handler ( rehab person) standing relative to the dog? Is the dog launching from a sit over the jump while the tug is in its mouth and the human holds the other end somehow wiggling back and forth?

Am I crazy? I'm just missing something here! Like I said, I just think plain old jumping on a regular basis is an awesome thing to incorporate into a fitness program for agility dogs and really probably any dog, even squirrel chasers that can hyperextend the rear end.

But with a tug? Can you do a mini video with one of your athletic dogs?

And what specifically does this do for the iliopsoas that plain old jumping does not accomplish?

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tug of war over obstacle...

Post by lehughes »

Oooh! Okay, I think I see where the miscommunication is arising!

I'm going to answer with words first... until I can find an appropriate dog to film doing this exercise!

So, think ONE slat of a broad jump (not 4, 3, or 2). I actually use a 10 inch wide plank of wood raised up on 2 blocks, and I play tug of war back and forth, so that the dog has to jump over the plank when I pull him/her towards the plank, and then we turn and go back!

I think the tugging is concentric. The jump is a stretch and/or a wee bit eccentric.

I'll see if I have an appropriate dog to video!!

Great question! Glad you asked it!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES