Sport Wellness Eval

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
DancingDog

Sport Wellness Eval

Post by DancingDog »

Hi Laurie et al-!

I will be starting to work with some agility & gun dogs, and would like to know how you structure a "wellness" eval for dogs who compete and the owners would like a check up to make sure all is working well and to potentially uncover any hidden issues that may not be symptomatic. I assume the basics of flexibility, strength, end feels, trigger points in shoulders, L-S spine, medial hips, but wonder if there are other things to get an idea of specific to agility and hunting, oh, and flyball! How could I forget! I plan to take the CRI class in November, as this is a new population to me, so any advice and areas to make sure to cover is appreciated!

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Sport Wellness Eval

Post by lehughes »

Great question...

So, most of these folks have a lot of strengthening and conditioning strategies going on already... and they can learn that anywhere (there are so many options now). What they need from people like us is our HANDS and our MINDS!

So I go through the entire body. I check end ROM of every joint and joint direction. I strum to look for pain of every palpable tendon. I assess each vertebra, rib and SIJ of the axial skeleton. I will look for trigger points (triceps, TFL, Quads, Sartorius in particular) and/or muscle pain in muscles that get primarily injured (Teres Major, iliopsoas, gracilis), and get a general feel of the other various muscle groups. I take note of the tone of the muscles and compare fronts to backs.

I like to test core stability: 3-leg stand (see the video) as well as the diagonal leg stand stability.
I like to see their coordination (and hind end awareness in particular) - so backing up onto / over objects.
How do they stand and how do they sit? Are they symmetric? (if not, I go back to my regular PT assessment).
For fun you could do a simultaneous front leg - rear leg extension stretch, just to get a sense of fascial extensibility... but I've never found sporting dogs or normal young dogs to be lacking with this.

Perhaps others will jump in with additional thoughts that I might be forgetting about!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

DancingDog

Re: Sport Wellness Eval

Post by DancingDog »

Thanks Laurie-all that s/p emergency appendectomy! I hope you are on the mend and feeling well...(you weren't pulling our hind limbs were you?!?)
I will gather as much as I can in the areas you suggest, and go on a hunting expedition of sorts. Your trigger point mini course was really good & I will review especially the shoulder and spine.
And, good to know about owners-they could probably teach me some things about exercise. Besides, you are right- they bring their dogs to us for our hands. A great opportunity for me to think purely about my real tools and skills.
I will let you know how it goes! Much appreciated- Katherine