Regaining Speed Post-Op

Discussion related to otherwise healthy, active, working or sporting dogs, in regards to performance, conditioning, & conformation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Regaining Speed Post-Op

Post by lehughes »

H Laurie,
I'm wondering if you can help me? I'm helping my 6 yr old male bearded collie through rehab from a hip toggle pin surgery in late December, 2016. I have a local physiotherapist (CS) engaged to help us as Haze is a very active, powerful boy. We're working our way back to agility and obedience.

Anyway, my question :-). Does your membership program include information about how to safely help a dog build speed and running again after injury? We're doing a LOT of exercises to help build strength and overall conditioning. I'd like to make sure I'm also helping with his confidence and strength in running. The information I've seen so far in the "free stuff" meshes well with what we're doing :-).

We've just started giving Haze more brief opportunities to run off lead where the footing is good (!!) and I'm noticing that he's running more with his head and shoulders up and not head down full out. I've seen him go to take off and then pull back. Not sure if it's confidence or need for more strengthening?

Also, thank you SO much for your article on sit-pretty! For 14 years, I've avoided it with my crew and have opted for what I felt was a safer alternative (sit-stand on the peanut). :-)
P.
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Regaining Speed Post-Op

Post by lehughes »

Hi P,

Thanks for taking the time to write!

I know CS quite well.  You are in good hands!

Specific to your question, I don’t have information specifically on what you are asking on the site.  The site is geared more towards other therapists (i.e. Physios, Vets, and Techs) engaged in animal rehabilitation, looking to further advance their knowledge & education.

So, what I want to tell you to try is Interval Training.  I searched my own site and couldn’t find anything specific on it (funny to me because I have my underwater treadmill staff doing it with dog in our treadmill - so it looks like I need to create some content on this topic!).  But I’m thinking that to get your dog going, you firstly start off with general conditioning as you are doing.  If you have a land treadmill, I’d get your dog doing some trotting, as well as rear legs only (front feet stable), and some backwards walking - slowly (you likely need to straddle the treadmill and just hang on… it’s not pretty).  All of these are great for simple strengthening.  Then you can start by using the treadmill to do intervals  30 seconds fast, 1 minute walk, 40 seconds fast, 1min 30 walk, 1 minute fast 2 minutes walk.  You build the fast up safely, and watch for the quality of your dog’s motion.  You can do this on a human treadmill… you’re never going to take your dog to a full out run on the treadmill.  You’re just building condition and going from walk to a fast trot in a faster transition.  When you take it to ‘land’, I would do some sprinting intervals (maybe throwing a toy between people) - be sure to warm up first.  You are working on the bursts to start and the braking.  Next try throwing a ball (or start with a toy that doesn’t bounce) into a corner / up against a wall.  Gradually increase the distance from where you are throwing.  Again - working on burst and braking.  You’ll need these before you allow / encourage all out sprinting and speed.  And for sprinting and speed I’d feel much more comfortable if the ground were not covered in snow and ice!!!

I’m thinking you are aiming to go back to agility?  Although you’ve not said so directly, I’m making an assumption based on the question itself.
Think of speed as your final puzzle piece.

When all clear (you’ll likely be in the 4-month range… but check with the surgeon and with CS - because I can’t get my hands on your dog), then you can do some drills of sending your dog out over a jump and recalling him back in to you - or better yet, to an easy jump at about a 50-70 degree angle coming back to you to one side or the other.    Work this way with 2 jumps, then 3, then 4.  And then narrow the recall to be tighter
When you have these looking good, add about 3 pieces of equipment in a flowing circuit.

And then finally, when you want speed… let him run with other dogs.  The desire to chase, and race will build the speed you are looking for.  But to get there too quickly, without ensuring strength, proprioception, balance, coordination, etc is up to par, it’s just asking for an injury.  It sounds too simple, I know… but even human athletes when they want to improve speed, they train / race with other elite athletes, so they can feel just how much harder they can push themselves!

Run the ideas past CS to see what she thinks and when she thinks you can add a piece or two to build to the next level.  Because she can see and feel your dog and test him, I think she’ll be able to guide you better as to when you can add a new challenge or stimuli, or if your dog needs to put pieces / stimuli into the program in a different sequence based on how he’s recovering.

And I like sit to stand on the peanut as an exercise.  That in itself is rather complicated!

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,
Wow, I didn't expect you to give me such a detailed reply! Thank you very much!!
I wondered if your membership site was geared more towards professionals in the field, which I am not :-).

You're so right about CS! She's incredible with both the humans and dogs she deals with! I'm so fortunate to have her so close! The surgeon's instructions were to rest for 8 weeks with 5 minute walks, then return to normal activities :-(. I knew that wouldn't work for Haze, so I engaged CS from the start, and have been seeing her every week/two weeks since Haze was 4 weeks post op. I've followed her guidance to the letter, and yes, the goal is to safely get Haze back to doing what he was doing before his injury!

You and CS are very like-minded as this is a very similar program that she gave us up to the 12 week milestone! :-). I think you've answered my question about his running, and I didn't even know we're doing all that we should be to get him there! lol I hadn't connected the dots between the ball sprints and sprints uphill on solid ground as helping him to get back to full running :-). He had just started sprinting on the ground and now the snow is back so we'll maybe put that on hold :-). i have two other beardies that are eagerly waiting to challenge him to sprints but I completely understand this needs to wait until he has the strengthening fully in place (CS was adamant about this too!).

We have a full "gym" in the basement (30x40 with rubber matting), and everything that fitpaws makes plus some extras, so CS was able to give us a comprehensive program. Plus Haze is a good, strong boy and has progressed beautifully! :-) We actually see her next Friday for his 12 week appointment to reassess his program, and now I understand more what my goals and expectations should be as far as speed!

Again, I almost feel like I owe you for an consultation,as it wasn't my intention to milk you for free info!!!! You've confirmed everything we're doing is on target.

Thank you again!! I hope you have a great weekend!
P & Haze
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Goodness gracious!  I don’t know why some surgeons are so flippant about return to activities - it’s like they’ve never watched dogs play before!!!

It sounds like you are totally set, and I’m glad I could provide you with some reassurance that you’re on the right path!

Good luck with everything and have a fabulous weekend yourself!
Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES