New York Mobile Rehab Questions

Discussion related to older or debilitated dogs as it pertains to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I love treating the old dogs, and I love chatting with their owners.
There is so much to do for these old guys!
Ask your question here... and answer here as well!
Come on and join the geriatric party!

Laurie :mrgreen:
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Leppin22

Post by Leppin22 »

Hello there,

I am embarrassed to say this is my first time checking out the FORUM even though I have been a member of fourleg for years. There is a lot of great info on here! Anyway I am in a bit of transition I have left my rehab job at a Vet hospital to start my dream of starting my own business working with middle aged and geriatric dogs. I would like to concentrate on educating the owners and performing rehab and massage on these types of patients. I really do think there is a niche out there and a real need for it. I would like to start my own business but am worried if I am able to do this since I am not a Vet but a LVT, CCRP in New York. I am trying to find information on the NY Professions website about rehab and there is nothing there specific to rehab except that vets and LVTS can do it . How do people feel about traveling REHAB? Do they feel safe? Are they in people's houses or do they do it in a car? What about a home office since I have 2 little kiddos? How did you feel bringing people to your house? Would I legally be able to get a laser? Is giving exercises considered prescribing? The last thing I want to do is unintentionally cross a line legally but have no clue who to talk to. Ofcourse whatever I do I would still have the referrals from vets around town. These are just a bunch of questions I have swirling around my head at 4 in the morning. Any thoughts or suggestions would be super helpful.

Thanks

Megan, LVT CCRP

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hi Megan!

Welcome to the world of the Forum!!!
So, my first recommendation, to cover your behind, would be to contact the NY Vet Board and ask them specifically about doing home visits, etc., and your plan in regards to only doing so by veterinary 'indirect supervision / directive' and see what they say. It'll be important to get the information direction from them. (I think they'd have more issue with a home office than with house calls.)

In regards to house calls. I had that concern when I stared out as well. However, there was never a time I felt uncomfortable. It seemed that people looking to help their animals via rehabilitation or massage were good people. I also had a home office for a few years as well. Same thing... good people.

As for laser... you can purchase it. If you have concerns about using it with the NY laws, then again, ask the board. Ohhh New York... so difficult! I think you have plenty of questions to take up with the Board. Maybe a phone call first. Depending on the answers you get... a letter. I'm going to change the name of this thread, and make is NY Specific. HOpefully other New Yorkers will chime in!

Cheers!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

tania

Re: New York Mobile Rehab Questions

Post by tania »

i would agree with Laurie, the old dogs are so great to work with and there is so much we can do that many vets appreciate.

If i had my choice i would only work with olds dogs and others with muscle/tendon injuries...These are the ones many dismiss, or can't figure out, and we CAN help in so many ways...manual therapy, laser, home exercise program and discussing proper pain meds...

With that we make a huge difference, and owners are thrilled with our help..

tania

Leppin22

Re: New York Mobile Rehab Questions

Post by Leppin22 »

Thank you everyone for your help. I will be looking into this futher. :)