Geriatric program ideas

Discussion related to older or debilitated dogs as it pertains to canine rehabilitation.
tania

Geriatric program ideas

Post by tania »

Thank you all for posting and your support. Seniors are my favourite clients,with a close second the neurological patients. I find with Senior dogs, they are left with 'no options' NSAIDS and reduced exercise is the common theme. There is so much we can do for these dogs and institute owner compliance with a new lease on life for their seniors'. So the next portion of my Round Table discussion of setting up a Senior Dog Program:

The group concluded the following:
1. appt times for seniors should be no more than 30 minutes
2. a take home package should be provided ( my next post on what it should include)
3. ideas on what to teach owners for a home program (yet another post on what it should include)
4.modalites to consider, LLL, manual therapy, weigh in's/weight loss, radial shochwave therapy, alpha stim, hydrotherapy, home exericise program,massage, osteopathy etc...)
5. Education to owners on behaviour changes, and other medical issues that senior dogs exerperience.

This is a fun journey, and is the foundation of my new Senior dog classes beginning in August 2016. (the name is yet to be determined)..Perhaps with Lauries permission, i can post some of the power point presentation info i will be providing to my clients..
Over and out..
Tania

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Geriatric program ideas

Post by lehughes »

I'm looking forward to seeing what you present next!
Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

puppylove

Post by puppylove »

Thank you so much for sharing!
Missi

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

I have been hoping that Carrie Smith would post here as well. She has a great geriatric program that she runs. They run in 4-week cycles, and consist of a little bit of education, some exercise (in circuits), some fascial work (using paint rollers, and skill rolling), etc! There as as many circuits as there are dogs, and the owners & dogs love it because it gives them an activity to do just with their older dog. (Since he/she is not going to other classes anymore- i.e. agility, obedience, etc.).
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

DeniseLaceyBaxter

Post by DeniseLaceyBaxter »

Hi,
I've got a Senior Dog - Optimal Aging power point that I did a couple of years ago. It was an hour presentation to a group of agility dog owners. These were the points covered:

Adapting Your Home Environment
Exercise for the Body and Mind
Diet and Other Nutritional Considerations
Transfer Training
Dealing With the “Down Dog”

And I agree, seniors are a whole lot of fun!
Denise Testa
C Spot Run

tania

Post by tania »

That is amazing Denise. I had just put together the last part of the senior dog seminar, was ready to send...and boom...it vanished...so now i have to recreate it.
Thanks for sharing .I think we all have so much to offer to our senior patients... so stay tuned for me to finalize the post once again and share more ideas for the senior program, including some exercises

Tania

Kay Webb

Post by Kay Webb »

I am about to start an 8 week Autumn Fitness for Senior Dogs course in September with4-6 dogs. I will be on my own so need the owners to carry out some simple baseline maesures with just some guidance from me. Something like a pain/QOL questionnaire, identifying functional difficulties, weight, body condition score, waist measurement, 6 min walk test. Is there a simple balance test and a flexibility test that people could recommend that could be safely owner administered but would have meaningful results.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Hi Kay,

You may need to create some of your own measurement scores. I would look at body condition and waist & chest circumference. Check out the Objective Outcomes & Measurements on the FourLeg Articles page. There you can find some objective measurement tests that you might find useful. As well, listen to / watch the last FourLeg Training Video - Pain Management Part 2 Assessment of Pain. I talk about some of the other tests - Timed Get Up and Go test. There are no validated tests that look balance & flexibility. However you could try a 'timed' 3-leg or diagonal leg stand. (Just as somewhere to start & play with)
I'm not sure what to tell you about flexibility, and I'm not sure it matters as much either. From a functional standpoint - Can they take a cookie from the shoulder, ribs, hip, tail? On each side. But what does this actually tell you... ??? (maybe just food motivation!) I'd say scrap that one!
I'd also suggest just keeping it fun. Don't be too outcome driven. A fun time with there dogs is more likely what the owners are wanting.

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

Kay Webb

Post by Kay Webb »

Thanks very much Laurie. I had forgotton about the timed get up and go. I think that will be nice and easy and quick for this number of dogs and will give really global functional info that will be rewarding for the owners to see improve. I will review the other outcome measures as you suggest too. I have 5 dogs signed up now and cant wait to get going. Also noted your comment about keeping it light on anatomy. Will do.

lehughes
Site Admin

Post by lehughes »

Have fun and I would really appreciate if you signed back in to let us know how it goes (good and hopefully not much bad)! We can learn from each other!
Cheers,
Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES