ideas for geriatric programs- week two

Discussion related to older or debilitated dogs as it pertains to canine rehabilitation.
tania

ideas for geriatric programs- week two

Post by tania »

Welcome to week two of setting up a geriatric program: This week thanks to STAAR round table participants discussion i will post information on considerations for setting up a geriatric program.

So..lets begin. We have a geriatric patient and we need to figure out how to get them in the door. The following is what to consider for these patients.
1. What will they pay?
2. Time frame of appointment (we guestimated 40 minutes)
3. Information to obtain: History, Dx, talk about pain in dogs (with handouts), weight loss, other complimentary therapies (acupuncture, massage, nutrition, osteopathy, laser, hydrotherapy etc.
4. Provide owners with a shopping list of items that can help their dog (help em up, toe grips etc)
5. Provide owners with a list of web related resources for various items for a senior dog (foods, nutrition, wheelchairs, etc.)
6. On the topic of weight loss special attention to foods, protein requirements, how to read labels, muscle loss in senior dogs, thyroid issues etc.
7. Provide owners with information on various senior dog issues; ortho, OA, thyroid, senior dog neuropathy, vestibular, DM etc..
8. Cancer, the four letter word.
9. Weight loss program ideas

This concludes parameters for setting up a program. The next installment..ideas for what to include in your geriatic dog program sessions (exercise, treatment modalities etc.)

Hope this helps. With this in mind i have now set up a program with weekly classes for my geriatric patients. It is amazing how much our clients don't know until they have an issue and go to the vet. If we can educate our clients we can help them be more proactive and not 'freak out' with something as simple as a vestibular event occurs.
Tania