Bulging Epaxials

Discussion related to older or debilitated dogs as it pertains to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Bulging Epaxials

Post by lehughes »

Hello Laurie

I am a DVM working on my Master's degree in Chinese Medicine through the Chi Institute of Traditional
Chinese Veterinary Medicine. I was perusing the internet for possible research topics and came across you website.
Actually, it was your blog on lumbar epaxial knot in dogs, the main idea for my thesis at this time.

My project is looking at epaxial lumbar muscle knots in dogs and seeks to determine limits in mobility from these as well as
response to massage therapy. Some of these dogs are overweight, others are not, and may even be underweight.
I hear other clinicians often refer to these as fat pads that are identified via visualization only, never palpated.

I am interested in hearing more about your theory on spondylosis in these animals. It is my experience too that
these knots occur more frequently in older dogs but I have been successful in massaging them away. They often
return after several weeks if patients are not stretched regularly.

Thank you
CH

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Bulging Epaxials

Post by lehughes »

Hi C,

Okay, I’ll have to go back and read my blog post to see what else I can add to my theory that I didn’t already include!
https://www.fourleg.com/Blog/377/A-Case ... g-Epaxials

Alright, so it looks like I summed up my thoughts concisely in the blog.
There is literature that talks about the facet joint extensions that would create ‘ball and socket’ joint facets. And there is literature that states that without the iliolumbar ligament that the quadratus lumborum would have to work harder to fixate the spine. There is human literature that would show that without muscle use, fatty deposits infiltrate the muscles.
The postulation between all of these things and the spondylosis is mine alone. Or at least, I’ve not seen it linked elsewhere before.

Part of me thinks that your massaging and stretching would be having an affected on the fascia within the muscle / tissues, thus lessening the appearance of the ‘fat pads’, because massage and stretching can’t change the composition of the underlying tissues, but it could change the fascial webbing and constraints.

I would also be hesitant to call them muscle knots - because they are typically non-reactive (especially on the dorsal surface). Quadratus lumborum may be reactive, but one would have to palpate specifically on it.

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES