lumbar transitional vertebra & pelvic tilt exercise

Discussion related to the nervous system (spinal cord, brain, or nerves), or other odd neurological issues as they pertain to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

lumbar transitional vertebra & pelvic tilt exercise

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie,

I’ve been enjoying your magical pelvic tilt exercise- I’m presuming this should be avoided in dogs with a Lumbosacral transitional vertebrae? I see a 5yo MN GSP with left sided LTSV and he is doing really well with physio only, however gets very hypertonic in his lumbar epaxials. I’m also presuming that when assessing the left SIJ this needs to be modified as it’s fused to L7?! And if so how?!

I have one LS client who starts in a lovely symmetrical sternal recumbency but during the tilts slowly ends up with the left stifle higher (slightly rolled onto her right hind). Is she evading something?!
HUGE thanks in advance, please know I LOVE your videos and they have revolutionised how I treat!!

AC

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: lumbar transitional vertebra & pelvic tilt exercise

Post by lehughes »

Hey A.,

Pelvic tilt exercise: I think it could be an exercise for lumbosacral transitional vertebra… Here’s my thinking: If you train it as a way for the dog to control the pelvis and learn ‘graded’ movement (i.e don’t go to extremes), then it could be beneficial. With you LTSV, I treat the SIJ’s like normal. It’s L7 that I tend to think will react different / feel different.

As for the asymmetry in the tilt, I would first look at the SIJ joint. SIJ dysfunction has a big impact on the L-S junction.

I hope this helps! All the best!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES