Tick & Flea Products

Discussion related to the nervous system (spinal cord, brain, or nerves), or other odd neurological issues as they pertain to canine rehabilitation.
lehughes
Site Admin

Tick & Flea Products

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie
I hope you are well and are now fully recovered from Covid.

I hope it is OK to contact you directly (and apologies for doing so on a Sunday - but once Monday starts...)

I have an interesting case with a Lab 7 month old puppy who is part of the Guide Dog programme here in South Africa. She suddenly started having whole body tremors, was ataxic to the point of falling over but there were no CNS signs on either a CAT or MRI. By a process of elimination, they think it may be associated with Nexguard spectra, a tick and flea product. The sales people here say they have not seen this before, although head bobbing is listed as a side effect.
The active ingredients in Nexguard Spectra are afoxolaner and milbemycin oxime. On doing some research on Google, I found this link:
Fact Sheet for Pet Owners and Veterinarians about Potential Adverse Events Associated with Isoxazoline Flea and Tick Products | FDA

I saw the dog last week. She has mainly recovered and is functional but with a slight toe touching lameness and weakness in her left hindlimb, which also has delayed patella and flexor reflexes compared to the right

I was wondering if you had any experience of anything similar and / or could offer some advice? I reckon if anyone can assist me, it would be you!

Thanks for all the training and learning experiences you constantly provide!

Kind regards
K

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tick & Flea Products

Post by lehughes »

Hi K,

Short answer is, no, I’ve not seem anything quite exactly like this. However, my own sheltie developed seizures after a dose of “Advantage”.
Shelties, and other dogs with ‘white feet’ can be genetically prone to being ivermectin sensitive. So, maybe there’s something along those lines in this puppy! (??)

I’d say go with function. There’s no ’target tissue’ to treat… so go with function. Lots and lots of functional practice. Working on building motor skills, progressing from simple tasks to more complex ones.

Function, Function, Function….

Sorry, nothing more specific than that!

Cheers,

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: Tick & Flea Products

Post by lehughes »

Hi Laurie
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I know you are very busy so I really appreciate it.

I have suggested an exercise programme that includes exercises for proprioception, hindlimb as well as core strengthening. I will focus on function as per your suggestion - thanks again!

Kind regards
K