UMN spasticity

Discussion related to the nervous system (spinal cord, brain, or nerves), or other odd neurological issues as they pertain to canine rehabilitation.
steved

UMN spasticity

Post by steved »

Hi
I have a 9 year old labrador that is non'ambulatory 3 months post wobbler's surgery.
He seems to be two steps forward one step back and progress is slow.
He still has foreleg UMN spasticity and this is part of what is hampering recovery.
I recently found that vibrational therapy might be helpful - I was wondering if you had any idea of parameters and treatment frequency that might be helpful for this.

I am using the tricks I've learnt to try and reduce spasticity - pinching foot, flexing toes and pushing on triceps, rotational movements on long bones. These all seem to make him cranky so I think it is likely causing neuropathic pain when I do it.
I've messed around with neuropathic meds and will continue to try and find the best cocktail.
He went to UWT but didn't do well as I think he has anxiety tied with getting surgery at the same place.
Owner has bought cheap pool and we are going to try hip height gait retraining in there- hopefully this might help with the UMN stuff.

Thanks
Steve

lehughes
Site Admin

Re: UMN spasticity

Post by lehughes »

Hey Steve,

So I'm going to redirect your thought processing on this, from 'treating the spasticity', to 'treating the reason' for spasticity.

I would instead focus on neck traction, some mobilizations, and HIGH doses of laser to the caudal cervical spine. Maybe acupuncture as well, if available to you.

Instead of thinking 'walking', start with lots of standing practice - as able.

I doubt that the tricks you have learned to combat spasticity are causing pain... but maybe there is increased sensitivity in that limb... hmmm... I'm still processing that part.

Okay... that's my best suggestion - go to the root of the problem!

I hope it helps!

Laurie
LAURIE EDGE-HUGHES

steved

Re: UMN spasticity

Post by steved »

Thanks